VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a digital film edited on WMM I'm trying to put on cd with VCDeasy. I was told that VCDeasy is very simple, but I'm having troubles with it.
    First I take the edited film and save to DV AVI. Then, I use TMPGEnc to convert to MPEG1. When I try to move the converted MPEG to VCDeasy for authoring, it tells me that it (my file) is not supported. It lists it as:
    MPEG Video - MPEG1 720 x 480 NTSC.
    It asks if I want to add the video anyway. When I do, it says that I can only add one chapter. No biggie. But when I get it done and burned, the overdubbed music audio is slowed down. Both the time and pitch.. which I didn't know could happen with digital audio.. but anyway.
    Here's the odd thing: Originally all of the overdubbed audio was MP3. When I burned the vcd under those conditions, the audio would skip every time a transition occurred. But the pitch and speed were fine. So I went back to the WMM file and changed all of the mp3 audio to Wav. The skipping is gone.. but now I have the speed/pitch problem.
    In WMM, all of this audio is wav. Playing back the converted MPEG on my computer shows no audio slow down.
    What's going on? Please help. This is for an xmas gift and I've been working on it for over a week. I'm going nuts and about to give up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Please look here
    https://www.videohelp.com/vcd
    under Technical Info for what VCD format video/audio require. Your resolution is not valid for VCD, so yes, VCDeasy is quite right to complain about it. If your resolution is wrong, your video bit rate is likely wrong too. TMPGenc is capable of generating VCD compliant video, so change your settings to get it to generate that and you should have better results.

MP3 audio is not valid for VCD. You need to use MPEG-1 layer II audio.
    WAV audio is technically valid, but some VCD authoring programs won't let you use it. Unless your video is really short, like 20 minutes or less, it's not a good idea to use WAV audio in VCD.

Your audio problem sounds suspiciously to me like a PAL->NTSC conversion issue, but I admit that I know nothing about DV video so I can't comment on whether the terms PAL and NTSC even make sense for that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tmpgenc has templates for various formats, of which VCD is one. Select that template, and all the settings will automatically be chosen to produce a VCD-compliant MPEG stream. Verify that the output is playable, has good sync, etc. Once you've done that, fire up VCDEasy, and you can then produce a burnable image.

Be advised that VCD audio must have a sampling rate of 44.1kHz (the same as for regular audio CDs). A sampling rate error can easily cause speedup/slow down, so digital audio has no special immunity in this regard. Digital audio is just a sequence of numbers, so the playback software has to be told what the sampling rate is, or there will be a speed error.
    Quote Quote