VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm using MP4 converter on my Mac to rip DVDs for my PS3. I was wondering what the best setting is for ripping. I've let i be default settings because I'm not really sure what to change. Is it the bitrate? The only thing I change is the file size, it allows you to break it up for your iPod or CDs etc. I always have it on "infinite" so it's one file. And it's set to "PS3 Video 480 (Excellent)." The issue with this is the file takes forever to rip. It usually takes about eight hours and skipps every few seconds for the whole video. The file ends up being a gig an hour. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try something else like handbrake. And by changing the file size you also change the video and audio bitrate, higher file size = higher bitrate = better quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe they've pulled the built in support to rip DVD's from Handbrake, but you can install VLC (version 0.9.x) and get the same functionality back into Handbrake from the libdvdcss library it installs. If that doesn't suit you, you can just use Mac The Ripper. It works pretty well for basic DVD ripping, giving you a unencrypted VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

I agree, Handbrake is an excellent and free piece of software For DVD's, try setting your bitrate between 500-1000 kbps, depending on how clean (new) your source is. Newer digitally shot movies have no analogue noise, and will encode with very little bitrate at 720x480. The same is true for anime.
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote