VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I downloaded a dvd and it will not play properly. It seems the DVD structure is incorrect. I tried for hours to get this working with ifoedit and pgc edit but it seems as if I am getting no where. Is it possible to delete all ifo files and bup files and create new ones to sort out the order it should be played in keeping menu function etc.

Please help

Very frustrated!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you just "copy" DVD or downloaded one from Internet?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What software have you?

I would try to extract to an avi or mpeg with software like TMPG express.

To see if the actual data is there, any point in DL again?

Welcome to the UK from the first 2 replier from Canada (Cockney here)
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sharkster41
    Hi

I downloaded a dvd and it will not play properly. It seems the DVD structure is incorrect. I tried for hours to get this working with ifoedit and pgc edit but it seems as if I am getting no where. Is it possible to delete all ifo files and bup files and create new ones to sort out the order it should be played in keeping menu function etc.

Please help

Very frustrated!!
    Was the DVD in ISO for or a bunch of zipped files containing the video_ts and audio_ts folders?

If the DVD is truely messed upped, you can try this
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/create_ifo_files_from_vobs_page1.html

You could also just drop the vobs in an authoring program and let it create a playable DVD, but you'll lose the original menu
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what exactly the problem is. It is theoretically possible to recreate the IFOs according to stiltman's suggestion, but there's no guarantee that this will work. The one time I tried to do something like this it failed.

If you got this via P2P and it's corrupted, there's no fix for that.

It is possible to make DVDs without making the movie the main video title set. If the original DVD had a trailer as the main VTS and that got removed, the DVD will have problems and I don't know how to fix that. Such a fix may be possible with something like PgcEdit or you may have to re-author the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you try dvdshrink? shrinking with no compression will create new ifos if it can analyze the original.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    It is possible to make DVDs without making the movie the main video title set. If the original DVD had a trailer as the main VTS and that got removed, the DVD will have problems and I don't know how to fix that. Such a fix may be possible with something like PgcEdit or you may have to re-author the DVD.
    Any DVD can be fixed if this is the only problem. For this problem a simple fix is either PgcEdit or DVD Remake, but you will need basic knowledge of VM commands.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All

Thanks for all your help. With me being completely new to I'm not exactly sure what I am doing right or wrong. Tried a few methods last night after about five hours decided to give up. Ideally I should just scrap the menu and just have the main movie but as I have the menu and it seems to work fine I wanted to try and sort this.

I tried the DVD shrink idea but after about 52% analysing it throws up the error cannot find vts 07_2. The dvd always starts with a trailer promoting when the movie was orignally out. This is on VOB set 7. I need to get rid of this and just start with the menu play. I tried dvd rebuilder in movie and menu mode but it didn't work. It did miss out cinema preview but stalled at the warning screen for about ten minutes and then played the menu. After a few goes with that I tried ifo edit but just cannot get my head around that program as I have not got any knowledge of this. Finally I tried pgc edit but again with limited knowledge I had difficulty knowing what I was doing. I did get the movie testing but it was stopping DVD play about 30 mins into the movie.

Thanks for all your replies so far. I will look at how to create ifo files from just vob files item and see if I can make any sense of that. In the meantime any other suggestions or solutions would be very much appreciated and perhaps maybe help someone else out who has had similar problems.

By the the way the file was rarred and made an ISO file so there should be no missing files. It seems the structure is wrong.

Also hi to you all as this is my first post.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PgcEdit will do exactly what you want, but some knowledge of DVD structure is required.
    At this point I would not recommend to start with IFOedit, it will be too difficult.
    If you want Movie only, than Shrink in Re Author mode will do, but if you want to keep menus and other parts, than PgcEdit will work.

For starters you can check this site concerning DVD.
    http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/nop.php
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well good news folks. I can now confirm I have solved the problem. Thanks to tinkers suggestion of dvdremake I have been able to take away the bad bits, disable buttons and audio I didn't need.

£20 well spent in my opinion (until it can't do what I want!!)

Well chuffed.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At least you got a jump on the Tuesday crowd.

Good luck with your future downloads.
    Quote Quote