VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys.

I'm using a ASUS U3100 USB2 HDTV tuner, and for the life of me, I can't find a program that will convert the original file to a smaller size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What type of file does it produce ?

All Australian DTV broadcasts are Mpeg-2 with either AC2 or MP2 audio. Generally DTV capture devices give you two options for output. They will either give you the entire Transport Stream (.TS) or just the Programme Stream (.mpg). Some cards offer a third option, which is to transcode to another format on the fly. This is not something I recommend.

I capture programs streams regularly and have no problems with either of those tools (I use both).

Post a g-spot of the files in question so we can see what you actually have.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It records as a ts mpeg2 and has mp2t audio according to Gspot.
    VLC won't playback the file, but the app and my Divx player will....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post the g-spot screen shot if you can.

What does VideoRedo say when you try to load the file ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

Video-redo crashes when I try and open one of these files
    Quote Quote  
  6. What does mediainfo say about the file? (view=>text)

Can you open it up with avidemux?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    General
    ID : 604
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\DAVO2\My Documents\My Videos\TEN HD_11_23_2008_21_11_01.mpg
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 322 MiB

Video
    ID : 514 (0x202)
    Menu ID : 1601 (0x641)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@High
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 90.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.736

Audio
    ID : 672 (0x2A0)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Format profile : Dolby Digital
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : -810ms
    Language : English
    Language_More : Clean effects

Text
    ID : 577 (0x241)
    Format : Teletext
    Language : English

====================

I couldn't open it with avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What is your final format goal? (.eg. do you want it playable only on PC, or standalone DivX DVD player etc....)

Are you able to play it back in a directshow player like MPC? If so, then you should be able to convert it with xvid4psp to many formats

Can you open it up and index it with DGIndex (DGMPEGdec) ? If it indexes properly, you should be able to use avisynth and any encoding application that accepts .avs input to encode it to something else

If your .ts has errors or discontinunities/drop outs , you can sometimes fix it by running it through projectx or pvastrumento (for MPEG2 .ts) - this might be why avidemux & videoredo refuse to open it (if the error is at the beginning of the stream)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to be able to at least convert the original HDTV ts file down to a 1280x720-5000kbps video for playback on the PC.......this still looks good and saves quite a bit of space.
    I'll investigate the other options you gave when I can, but I just thought I'd add that AGK accepts the file but doesn't recognize the audio, in fact, it allows me to use it's WMP9 preview player, but the sound bar is dead and has lost the option to mute or increase/decrease sound.
    Quote Quote  
  10. For the audio: install AC3Filter
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AC3 filter didn't work

http://rapidshare.com/files/171573679/Nine_High_Definition_12_09_2008_07_46_56.mpg

I wonder if anyone would dl this 45mb 1080i clip and see if they can figure out why it's being so recalcitrant...?
    Quote Quote  
  12. It works fine, you need haali media splitter (or a proper splitter) to play it in MPC or directshow players.

AC3filter works to decode it properly on playback

All converting progams seem to work with it here on my test system. (incl. avidemux)

So make sure you have haali media splitter, ac3filter, and an mpeg2 decoder (you can use ffdshow, just enable MPEG2 in the configuration)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm now reconverting it using xvid4psp. Seems to work fine.

edit: Yep, worked perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  14. There must be something wrong either with your system or the earlier sample you tested first, because even videoredo works on the recent sample you uploaded on my end...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it works, but is more like a transport stream than mpg. i used HDTVtoMPEG2 on the file mpg-> mpg and then everything could play/use it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    There must be something wrong either with your system or the earlier sample you tested first, because even videoredo works on the recent sample you uploaded on my end...
    You know what, the 45mb file did actually load in video-redo, but it took a while, so anyway, I tried a 330mb file and waited 2minutes and video-redo crashed.
    I'll install haali and see what happens.

With my old 1080i tp files, video-redo would open almost instantly even if the file was 20gig.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    It works fine, you need haali media splitter (or a proper splitter) to play it in MPC or directshow players.
    You're brilliant poisondeathray....haali seems to have done the trick.
    I was able to open the 330mb in video-redo, convert it to a TS file and AGK now recognizes the AC3....and using my new E8400, I converted the the 330mb to a 99mb in 9mins.
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Just in case people are reading this and now think the ASUS U3100 is da bomb, unfortunately it isn't.......ie, my old PCI capture card used to introduce skips/glitches, so I boosted my antenna and it made a 2000% difference to signal quality, however, even with my high gain antenna, the Asus skips way too much, granted you can use AGK to minimize the damage, but I think PCI-PCIe is the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well after fixing the problems I had, it dawned on me that the Asus is still a PITA as it skips and I have to run it thru video-redo if I want to allow AGK to accept the files, so I bought a Kasier Baas USB and the tuner is a thousand times better, plus AGK recognizes the files without having to convert them to a ts.
    Quote Quote