VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I am using TMPGENC DVD 3 and I am currently making DVDs from a TV show. I have done 3 discs so far. The last disc with roughly 5 hours of video took 26 hours to encode. I can usually do Dual Audio, Subtitle, and 8 episodes in 13-16.

Can I get names for a faster program that works like TMPGENC DVD 3 (Menu Creation, Subtitles, Dual Audio), maybe uses the project files for the program.
    Anime on Laserdisc is teh awesome
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try a different MPEG encoder like FAVC or or HC, or for a few dollars, CCE. CCE is one of the faster encoders. Most times any of those would be faster than TMPGEnc for encoding. But you should be able to use your encoded MPEGs with TMPGEnc for the authoring as that part should be fairly quick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at your computer specs you have written 'crap' for your CPU. While this isn't very specific, it does imply that it is getting on a bit. Tmpgenc isn't the fastest encoder on the planet, but all encoding is very CPU intensive. The single biggest change you can make to improve the speed of your authoring is to replace your system with a quad core intel CPU based setup, and use a multi-core/CPU aware encoder. Nothing else you do will make more than small, incremental improvements. A quad core cpu will cut your encoding time down by up to 80% or more. Most of my encoding runs at around twice real time or better (i.e. a 2 hour movie encodes and authors in around 45 - 60 minutes with FAVC and HCEnc)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Most of my encoding runs at around twice real time or better (i.e. a 2 hour movie encodes and authors in around 45 - 60 minutes
    You mean "half real time..."

My PC, OTOH, really does take "twice real time": 2 hours to encode 1 hour video with HC (2 pass).

Sometimes, when I'm not really worried about the exact filesize (e.g., burn to DVD-RW, watch and delete), I use one-pass CQ mode, which runs twice as fast; i.e. about real time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I suppose the term is somewhat confusing and misleading but, no, he really does mean twice real time. Maybe the term comes from CCE's use of a 2 RT encoding to mean "twice as fast as real time". If the encoding framerate is set for for 24fps (roughly), it's encoding at 48fps where RT=24fps. 48/RT=2. It doesn't mean "twice the length of real time".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I suppose the term is somewhat confusing and misleading but, no, he really does mean twice real time..
    I know what was meant, but "twice real time" is WRONG logically, mathematically and in every sense.
    Time is the reciprocal of frame rate/speed.

"Twice the real time frame rate" is not "Twice real time".
    Obvious, yes, but when you leave out a few key words you reverse the meaning.

Originally Posted by manono
    It doesn't mean "twice the length of real time".
    Yes it, literally, does.
    Some loose usages don't matter, but when it's completely the opposite of reality, it is important.

I don't care what CCE or Jack Bauer says, or how many people say it that way, it remains wrong.

And I don't want this to degenerate into a flame war, so I'll exit from this thread now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    You mean "half real time..."
    Obviously he doesn't.
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    I know what he means
    Then why be flat-out wrong with your earlier assertion? Make up your mind. I don't find the 2 RT way of thinking in a video encoding context to be counterintuitive at all. As I said before, if 24fps is 1xRT then 48fps is 2xRT, and the encoding takes half as long as RT. Makes perfect sense to me. Maybe that's because I've been using CCE for years now. I have a degree in mathematics and don't find it "WRONG logically, mathematically and in every sense."
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    I don't care how many people say it that way, it remains wrong.
    Common usage makes it right. And yes, you understood perfectly from the beginning what he was saying, understood it wasn't a mistake or a typo, and understood the term has come into common usage. So you decided to take a stand when the outcome has already been decided? Sounds a bit to me like tilting at windmills.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, I have done a couple of things to improve times.

1) I have set the display so it gets rid of the fancy stuff in Windows XP visually in lieu of faster performance time

2) Upgraded Divx.

3) Lowered screen resolution by half.

4) uninstalled a few games and deleted/moved to thumb drive
    emulators.

those have reduced the time by 2 hours. But here is my meager system stats

I know I need to upgrade the ram. The computer is 6 years old and I don't know what kind of ram I use. (DDR1 I think).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shutting down the eye candy in Xp doesn't buy you very much. Neither will upgrading your ram. I doubt you are using the full 1 GB when encoding. The only major improvement you can make to your system to substantially improve encidng times is to get a new CPU. In your case, that probably menas a new system board, cooling system, memory and perhaps even graphics card.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Shutting down the eye candy in Xp doesn't buy you very much. Neither will upgrading your ram. I doubt you are using the full 1 GB when encoding. The only major improvement you can make to your system to substantially improve encidng times is to get a new CPU. In your case, that probably menas a new system board, cooling system, memory and perhaps even graphics card.
    I am considering buying a new tower (6 years old), but I am broke. The main HDD in this one is failing.
    Quote Quote