VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please check out the story on the CD Freaks website. Slysoft is apparently going to switch to a subscription based format for it's software products in the near future. Any one who was considering purchasing any Slysoft software like AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD may want to purchase it now before the changes go into effect. Apparently Slysoft will continue to honor the Lifetime Free Upgrade policy for software purchases made before the change goes into effect. Don't get caught with your pants down like when they converted from the US Dollar to the Euro. I upgraded my AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD last year before I even had a HD drive because Slysoft put a notice up on their site about the upcoming changes. I'm glad that I did since I now have a LG Blu-ray burner installed in my system.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15268-SlySoft-announces-new-update-policy.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or from SlySoft: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=23279 This has been posted since Dec 1. But no details are given.
    Quote Quote  
  3. They must figure if they are the only ones providing up to the *week* updates.....

You know it was going to have to happen sooner or later. Come on, these guys have to order DVD/BLs from around the world every week. Then they have to verify EVERY one to work. What a crappy biz to be in.

I wonder how many DVD/BLs they have laying around by now
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    At least the present owners of the program will continue to get free updates. Hard to tell for how long, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I first posted this story in these forums December 2.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, if I double posted something that was already posted here "wtsinnc", but I tried doing a search before posting and didn't see anything about this. It could be that I just used the wrong words when doing my search.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem KTH.
    -In fact-

There was obviously little reaction to my post on the 2nd;
    144 views to-date; no posted comments.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Given the recent posts at Doom9, SlySoft's monopoly is about to collapse. There will soon be free software available. They need to squeeze as much money as possible out of people before this becomes common knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for that information jagabo.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh lovely. We have Slysoft and other hacks fighting for our cause, of course, all in the name of freedom and liberty to, *ahem*, "back up our discs" now right?

Is that what their argument is? Not to you Jagabo, the messenger, but to those going through all this trouble - I say get a job and buy the disc moocher.

Sheesh.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We're not all 'moochers' I back up the BDs I own to my HTPC to make them easier to play back. I'm not going to use up 30GB per BD rip, so I convert them to MKV to minimize disc space and still have decent quality. I don't have any problems with SlySoft's policy at present as I already own the program.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A email from SlySoft in part received a bit ago:

Dear valued customer,

As of January 1st, 2009, Slysoft will change its update policy from free
    lifetime updates to an annual subscription fee. All license purchases
    made before January 1st, 2009 will not be affected by this change; as
    promised, all licenses purchased before 2009 will still be honoured
    under Slysoft's free lifetime update policy..................
    Check the SlySoft site for more info.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Given the recent posts at Doom9, SlySoft's monopoly is about to collapse. There will soon be free software available. They need to squeeze as much money as possible out of people before this becomes common knowledge.
    I haven't really followed Doom9 since their Home (News) page got frozen at the 6/29/08 edition. Can you i.d. this free competitor for us ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't that exactly what he did ?

Dooom9 thread about the crack:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=140571
    Oh, and the home page has been updated as well . . . . . . . .
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I think this marketing scheme by Slysoft stinks,they should make their software freeware if they're going to charge for updates.
    To be fair other companies such as McAfee do this also but I still think it's unfair.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    I think this marketing scheme by Slysoft stinks,they should make their software freeware if they're going to charge for updates.
    To be fair other companies such as McAfee do this also but I still think it's unfair.
    Wha??

Do you work for free at your job?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Valnar
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    I think this marketing scheme by Slysoft stinks,they should make their software freeware if they're going to charge for updates.
    Wha??

No but I don't charge my employer extra to do my job.
    Boss:I need you to get this work done today.
    Me:I'm sorry but that will cost you extra.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Isn't that exactly what he did ?

Dooom9 thread about the crack:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=140571
    Oh, and the home page has been updated as well . . . . . . . .
    Thanks -- must've finally happened sometime after I checked it yesterday. Good to have him back.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Valnar
    Wha??

No but I don't charge my employer extra to do my job.
    Boss:I need you to get this work done today.
    Me:I'm sorry but that will cost you extra.
    Unless you have to work overtime to get it done, and if you do get paid for overtime on your job - then you do
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SlySoft had announced an extension of their earlier "non-subscription" offer -- originally expiring 12/31 -- which now expires tomorrow, 1/11. I still haven't managed to read through that Doom9 thread, but wondered if it indicated a completed or soon to be completed functional product that would compete with AnyDVD but would be free, or if it was merely a development that indicated a possibility pointing in that direction ? I have no problem with paying for something that is genuinely useful, but hate throwing money away for no good reason. (I've never used AnyDVD, because thus far RI4M still seems to work fine for me in about 85% of cases, and where it might not Fab Decrypter nicely covers the remainder. Exactly what AnyDVD might add to this mix remains unclear to me.)
    Quote Quote  
  21. I have yet to figure out exactly what the hell SlySoft plans to *charge* for these subscriptions or how they will be administered. The website is incomprehensible on this point, it sort of vaguely indicates some exhorbitant pricing in Euros what the "equivalent" total cost of "lifetime" updates might be. Very strange. And very stupid of them not to be clear on this if their goal is to drive a bump in year-end sales at the old rates.

To those who ask "why ANYDVD", the answer is primarily that it works well with CloneDVD and CloneDVDMobile, and before SlySoft became insanely greedy pigs you could buy a bundle suite of all three products for $70, which is what I did in 2006. I love the way SlySoft apps work, they suit me perfectly, but if they shoot up to $200 thats ridiculous. I also think they're rather foolishly poking a stick at the MPAA with this "subscription" scheme: Cayman Islands and off-shore business schemes be damned, if they try to get monthly payments for this type of software Hollywood will hire mercenaries to fly down there and wipe them out.

This new pricing plan of theirs is ill-conceived all around. As it is, they're the last choice of members here because they "charge too much". Going to a subscription plan will nicely nail the coffin lid shut. A shame, because their apps are phenomenal. And AnyDVD is probably the most useful decrypter for those wanting to back up BluRay or HD-DVD.
    Quote Quote