VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a large amount of DVD's to label, each with over 100 files. I want to label the discs with a list of the files that each disc contains. I already have the list of files in .txt format and wish to cut/paste to a Labelling Template.

We all know that if you fill a line in Word or some other document editor that the text will automatically continue on the next line, this is the concept of the template, the only difference is that the document would be round. It would also be nice if it could skip the hub (118mmx24mm outter/inner diameter)

Anyone have some ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully you already know that sticking a paper label on a DVD is a bad idea, and if the disks themselves must be labeled, a better solution is to use inkjet printable disks and a compatible printer (some Canon or Epson models print directly on disks), or a Light Scribe drive plus LightScribe disks.

I use a different approach. I write a short description on the disk using a permanent marker. Next, I make a more detailed insert or label for the case or envelope used to store the disk. The case label also includes what I wrote on the disk.

There are a lot of software packages that can label disks, and your printer or Light Scribe drive manufacturer may list programs on their website which are able to work with their products. Sometimes LightScribe drives come bundled with labeling software.

Acoustica CD DVD Label Maker may be something to look at. They have a trial version at http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/download.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply 'usually_quiet'.

I am sorry that I did not mention that I am using printable discs and I also have the latest available Wi-FI EPSON printer with CD printing, EP-901A(JAPANESE). I also have lightscribe capabilities but color is more pleasing to the eye.

I do have a pen handy but how tacky.
    Sure it is easy enough to make covers, but for my needs it would be much more convienient to Print on the disks.(I am only using CD Envelopes)

I never thought that a round page layout for horizontal text would be so hard to find. I guess I will have to try to learn and make one, but not very good at that type of thing.

I know I can just use a normal template and make sure that the positiong is correct, but it really suck when run out of room and have to reduce the font, by lets say 1pt. If I do reduce the font the text is not spread over the entire printable area. therefore I would have to go back and re-edit the text. Far too time consuming for a few hundred disks.

Thanks I will check back
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "AWESOME" 'Acoustica' done the job, phew what a relief!
    Acoustica is much better than the Print-CD that epson provides with there printers.

Thanks again 'usually_quiet'.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are welcome.

The *ahem* tacky solution was suggested in the event that you didn't currently have a way to print on the disks themselves.

Since I am frugal, not aesthetically challenged, you should have said my labeling system was "cheap" instead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since I'm the only one that usually looks at my DVDs, I use silver top TYs and a Sharpie. They still play the same. (And I am cheap.)
    Quote Quote