VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings and salutations,

I think I already know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway.

We have two internet connections coming into the house (dont ask why) ... one dsl and one cable. Each is on its own router. We have the two PC's downstairs are on the dsl service/router and the laptop upstairs is on the cable service/router. We have a 4in1 printer setup downstairs on one of the PC's.

Is there a way to get that printer networked with the laptop upstairs?

As usual, thank you in advance for any responses.

LG

EDIT: It would also be nice to file share between all of the PC's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do the routers use dhcp to give an ip to the computers? (are they broadband routers?) if so then it probably will not work hooking both into a third hub together.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, it can be done. You need a router between the two routers and the two networks need to have different IP ranges, which means you'll have to reprogram one of the router's DHCP configuration. DHCP should be disabled on the in-between router. You may also have to program "route" to direct traffic for the other network to the "in -between" router instead of the default internet router.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Yes, it can be done. You need a router between the two routers and the two networks need to have different IP ranges, which means you'll have to reprogram one of the router's DHCP configuration. DHCP should be disabled on the in-between router. You may also have to program "route" to direct traffic for the other network to the "in -between" router instead of the default internet router.
    Yeah thats what I figured. I figured I would have to set up some sort of DHCP or proxy server and would have to purchase a 3rd router.

Hmm .. ok. Well, when I finally make the purchase, I may come back and ask a couple more questions on this.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

LG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are both of your current routers wired/wireless (802.11b/g)?

Why wouldn't a wireless printer server work instead of adding another router?

I would think turning a printer into a wireless would make it available to any (and all) other wireless router within range.
    Yes? No?
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know enough about the wireless communication to know for sure, but I don't think that would work. If I'm right, any communication to the printer will have to come through the router that it established connection with, much like you can't connect your laptop to 2 wireless networks at the same time. Having said that, the upstairs laptop could connect to the downstairs wireless network, while still being hardwired to the upstairs router, thereby giving them access to the printer, but it would also allow access to the downstairs internet access, which seems to be undesirable.

Edit: The 2 subnets would still have to be in different IP ranges for the laptop to connect to both networks at the same time.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, let's hope someone who knows can help this idea, too.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could log on to both routers. Add a cheap wireless adapter to the laptop and log on to the the other router simultaneously, or use remote desktop and log on to one of the other computers and print remotely.
    Quote Quote