VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been converting a bunch of videos shot on my HD camcorder to Apple Intermediate Codec for conversion to DVD, but I am a bit puzzled on how I should set certain settings. Specifically, the deinterlacing setting. When I convert with the deinterlace option turned off, and play back the converted footage after the fact, it is a lot like watching the footage through chicken wire on my Mac. I am sure the DVD will look different again when I can be bothered authoring it, but I get the nagging feeling I would be better off deinterlacing the footage. The deinterlaced versions tend to look far more presentable on the Mac screen.

And to think I wanted to be done with this footage by now.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deinterlacing will reduce the temporal resolution by half (slightly jerky motion) and create some artifacts (although since you're downsizing from HD to SD the artifacts may not be too bad). Resizing interlaced video is a bit tricky but the software will probably handle it correctly. So don't deinterlace unless it gives you problems.

Computer monitors are not designed to display interlaced video. Don't worry about how it looks in the computer. Unless, of course, that is your intended final output device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hook up a tv to your comp to monitor it
    you'll see what the mpeg looks like and save wasted discs
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by zoobie
    hook up a tv to your comp to monitor it
    you'll see what the mpeg looks like and save wasted discs
    I'd be very careful about that. Unless it's set up correctly output from the computer may look nothing like output from a DVD player. Use DVD+RW discs for testing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD-RW or DVD+RW.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote