VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have a VC1 file in a WMV container, but I'm having some choppy playback on my computer, so I would like to convert it to AVI if possible. I have never worked with any hi-def/blu-ray stuff before, so I don't really know any of the terms. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried any all-in-one converter? Like xvid4psp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's certainly possible to convert with tools like Dr. Divx (I have done this exact conversion with it) and probably AutoGK and others. But I have to warn you that if your PC can't play this WMV file that you may have issues after conversion to AVI too. WMV is pretty easy on CPUs as is Divx/Xvid and such a conversion may not make much difference. If you are working with a 1080p VC1 file, you're probably going to have to resize it down to 720p to have any hope of playing it without problems as you're likely to have problems with 1080p Divx/Xvid too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Yes, it's certainly possible to convert with tools like Dr. Divx (I have done this exact conversion with it) and probably AutoGK and others. But I have to warn you that if your PC can't play this WMV file that you may have issues after conversion to AVI too. WMV is pretty easy on CPUs as is Divx/Xvid and such a conversion may not make much difference. If you are working with a 1080p VC1 file, you're probably going to have to resize it down to 720p to have any hope of playing it without problems as you're likely to have problems with 1080p Divx/Xvid too.
    It's already 720p. I don't have serious problems with the playback, it's just kind of choppy. Should I just deal with it and not bother to convert it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. What kind of computer? Is your profile up to date? It might be too old to play it.

Do you have a fairly recent graphics card? If the video falls withing DXVA specs, you can offload the decoding to the GFX card instead of CPU by using MPCHC

What software player are you using ? You might get better results with VLC, SMPlayer, WMP11, or try MPC.

Some renderers fewer CPU cycles than others. e.g. using VMR9 (renderless) is slower than overlay mixer. It might play "less choppy" if you switch renderers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    What kind of computer? Is your profile up to date? It might be too old to play it.

Do you have a fairly recent graphics card? If the video falls withing DXVA specs, you can offload the decoding to the GFX card instead of CPU by using MPCHC

What software player are you using ? You might get better results with VLC, SMPlayer, WMP11, or try MPC.

Some renderers fewer CPU cycles than others. e.g. using VMR9 (renderless) is slower than overlay mixer. It might play "less choppy" if you switch renderers
    I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop from a couple years ago (don't know about the graphics card). I'm using VLC to play the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a strange problem when using AutoGK. I try to browse to the folder containing the WMV file, but right when I get to it, the whole program automatically shuts down. It'll open every other folder fine, but not this one. So I'm going to assume that AutoGK won't do the trick. I'll give Dr. Divx a try.

Edit: Well, I'm having the exact same problem with Dr Divx, lol. When browsing to the input file, the program crashes. Anybody know what this means?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL, now my browser crashes just when I try to go to the folder without using any program. Why is this? Something that was installed with AutoGK or Dr. Divx must have done this (one of the codecs, I'm assuming). I need some help, this is getting frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think AutoGK only accepts DVD input.

Try uninstalling both AutoGK and Dr.Divx

You need a directshow VC-1 decoder for most "converter" programs. VLC doesn't because it is self contained and has it's own internal codecs & splitters and doesn't rely on directshow

You can download WMP11 or Windows Media Format SDK 11 - both come with the WMVideo & WMAudio decoder DMO, or use ffdshow (enable VC1 in the configuration, set to libavcodec instead of disabled)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK allows for both DVD and AVI input... but not WMV.

As for Explorer crashing, it could be a problem with Explorer's attempt to generate thumbnails for video files in a directory. It's a rather common problem. Open the Run window (Start > Run) and enter the following:

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

...then click OK. See if the problems you were having persist.

If you want to reverse the above, just enter the same command (as above), but without the '/u'.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it looks like the problem was from the xvid codec I installed. I uninstalled that and the problem was fixed. But AutoGK doesn't work without that codec and Dr Divx said the file type was incompatible or something.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Tried any all-in-one converter? Like xvid4psp.
    This convertor works quite well, i have used it for afew times and no problems!
    Quote Quote