VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive the horrible noob question as I know nothing about subtitles or anything related to them...

Basically I'm wondering how I can get .ass subtitles to work with .wmv files? I've been watching some subtitled shows which were .avi but the 1080p versions are .wmv and the subtitles don't work with that. I have CCCP installed for codecs. What am I missing or doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is DirectVobSub installed?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Is DirectVobSub installed?
    No, I assumed CCCP contained all the necessary drivers... which it probably does but for some reason it's not associating the .ass subtitles with anything other than .avi. I can get it working by changing the extensions to .avi but that's tedious and can sometimes cause playback issues. Not to mention I don't want files having the wrong extension.

I just installed VobSub and it didn't change anything. The .ass files don't play with the .wmv files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What software player? It works with directshow players like MPC

Do you see a green arrow icon in the right lower corner taskbar when playing the video? Right click it and enable subs

They have to be in the same directory with same name eg.

file.wmv
    file.ass

Other options are to use KMplayer or SMplayer to playback, which should support it without directvobsub
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    What software player? It works with directshow players like MPC

Do you see a green arrow icon in the right lower corner taskbar when playing the video? Right click it and enable subs

They have to be in the same directory with same name eg.

file.wmv
    file.ass
    Yes my files are in the same directory with the same name, everything always worked fine with .avi files. The green arrow would appear (with CCCP installed) for .avi files being played in anything (I usually use Winamp though I don't know what's best for good 1080p playback). I guess I'll try MPC but I doubt that will work.

EDIT: I checked and yes CCCP does contain the files of VobSub and THANK YOU MPC actually does work. It probably has the least bloat as well so it's likely the best for playback but I would still like to find out why it doesn't work in other players if it's not .avi...
    Quote Quote