VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will be used on a TV, that can decode the fallowing in the screen shot from the manual.

I want to encode to the 1920 x 1080, and I have a size limit of about 3GB for about 22 minutes, video and audio. The audio will be stereo. Codec choice won't matter too much to me, but most of the video is already encoded in H264 in either 1080P or 720P. I can't use the video without re-encoding it, I already tried playing the original files, and pulling just the video. I got an error message saying the video is unsupported.

I am kinda limited to free tools, but time is not a big factor. I will also need settings with whatever tools I am referred to, as the only encoding I am used to with video is for PC use, which is rather low restrictions.

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would convert to mp4 with h264 and aac audio using either xvid4psp or ripbot264 or avidemux. Load the "console" profiles for best compatibility.

But what are you playing it on?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It quite literally is the TV. It has a USB port, and I can use my flash drive to hold the file. That screen shot is directly from the manual of the TV, and I encoded to Xvid at 800x600 to verify it could play off the drive.

I have a nice 1 minute file to test things out on, which helps for verification as well. PC is not the greatest, but the Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 does it fairly quickly, so suggestions will be tried on as they come in.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    xvid4psp and avidemux aren't allowing me to re-size the video larger to 1080, ripbot264 gives an error at launch "Failed to get data for 'mjpg'" and won't do anything. I load the video into it, and it just sits there partly locked up. CPU usage is 0, and everything is grayed out except abort.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am interested to know what make and model number of TV you have as I have never heard of a TV with the ability to directly play these types of files from a USB port. I've heard of JPG support, but that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. enable mjpg in the ffdshow configuration (set to libavcodec instead of disabled) - your error message suggests that your video uses mjpg, not h.264

you can use mediainfo on your source to determine info like codec used on your source file. If your source isn't already 1080p (I suspect it isn't since it's mjpg), upscaling to that will make it look worse usually (unless you use a complex algorithm), and it's usually better to leave at the smaller resolution (looks better and saves space as well)

I also have the same question that jman98 has: what TV? I'd probably get one if it truly did all that without limitations. EDIT: whoops, I see it's only AVC Main, not high profile...less interested now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think some of the new Samsungs have the ability to play video off the USB port.

AviDemux should have no problems resizing up to 1920x1080 and beyond.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray, it's hard to change something when it's already there.
    The error happens when I open the program, no ware else.

jagabo, I looked again, I had to force it to re-size, and am testing now.

Actual TV is the Samsung LN52A750 It's not mine, but my parents. I can use it when they don't.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, avidmux is working. I just need to find the audio shift setting, but that's trial and error.
    Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1031982
    Actual TV is the Samsung LN52A750 It's not mine, but my parents. I can use it when they don't.
    Thanks. This is the first I've heard of this. I had no idea Samsung was doing this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98
    I had no idea Samsung was doing this (media player in tv).
    They don't seem to publicize it much.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya, they have the multimedia extender partly in there as well. There is a NIC installed, and you can use the USB port to get a wireless card (has to be from Samsung, of course) and use the TV as a multimedia extender on it's own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course they brought this in after I bought my Series 6, didn't they . . . .

Oh well. My next one will be a Series 9 (LED backlighting) or better.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars upgrading my player every now and then than a few thousand upgrading my HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me, I am happy with a good display and keeping it until it dies out. They replaced a perfectly great Sony HDTV for this one, but it's there money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    USB2 flash play is limited to the Samsung 750 series. I tried one of these last July. It worked with lower resolution MPeg2 files as well. I recall using HDTVtoMPeg2 from broadcast captures and DVD VOBs. I didn't have time with it to try divx/xvid or h.264 but I'd expect those resolutions in the chart are maximum. Try playing smaller files first, then move up.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic353259.html?highlight=samsung%20750
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by edDV
    USB2 flash play is limited to the Samsung 750 series.
    I saw it in the 850 manual too.
    Quote Quote