VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got a nasty problem. For some reason my tv card won't let me record over 1hr 53 minutes without it making a second file. I have a 2 hour show I want to record, and so at 1hr 53 min, it makes a second file for the remaining 7 minutes of the show. I'm using ntfs file system and recording about 4Gb per 2 hours which I am later reducing to VCD size and bitrate. I tried combining the two pieces (1hr53min+ 7 min) with software, but Gui For DVDAuthor doesn't like the result and won't work. My only way now is to just add the second piece as a separate title. I want to record and author four 2 hour shows like this. See screenshot1 . Is there a way to have Day 1 automatically go to part1b ( and then hide the part1b button) ? And if Day2 is selected, automatically go to part2b ( and then hide part2b) etc for Day3 and Day4. So then the menu would look like screenshot2 but still play both parts of each show.

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Muxman to combine the files. However, free version is not seamless. But jumping from one title to other is not seamless either.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, you can...
    But maybe it is not exactly what you want...
    First question:
    reducing to VCD size and bitrate. I tried combining the two pieces
    How? What is the source format, what software did you use to reduce to VCD size and bitrate (maybe this software can already join the source files) and what software did you use to try combining the resulting 'VCD-size' files?
    Second question (if we do not find a suitable solution to join...)
    Do you need the titlesetmenus?
    If no, it is probably better to switch 'Use Titlesets' off. The joint will be not really seamless either, but probably better as if each part is also in a different titleset.
    After clarification of these questions we can look for the best solution.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, there is a certain amount of my screw up that I'd rather not talk about. When I used the TV card to record day2 of this 2 hour program, I was ready for the mysterious file cut at 1hr53 min. I put the 1 hr 53min file into TMPGEnc 4 express and recoded to VCD standard (except for 48K audio). Also did the same for the remaining 7 min file. Then used Video Redo to combine the files into one 2 hr file. Then demultiplexed into video and audio with TMPGEnc Mpeg tools and then put into GUI For DVD Author. Gui For DVD Author had no problem with this and the resulting day2 DVD file segment played fine. It is just that when I used the TV card to record day1, I lost the second (7 min) file and tried to combine the 1hr53min file with a 7min file that came from a different source (a vcr). Gui For DVDAuthor did not like that.
    But it really doesn't matter, because at standard VCD rates, I need to cut some program material to fit nearly 8 hours on a standard DVD disk.
    My question still stands (for curiosity), how can I use GUI For DVD Author to combine two files (possibly of slightly different video standards) so that the first file will play, and then the second file will automatically play (slight pause between files is acceptable), but the menu will only display the first file. In other words, when the user selects the first file, it will start playing, and then when finished (after slight pause) the second file will play automatically. I don't want the second file (part 1b) to be visible on the menu. (Like above second screenshot.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok. No problem. I try to explain...
    Settings: 'Use Titlesets=off', 'Advanced mode'=on, 'Start action for Titlesets'=Play movie, 'End action for Titles and Titlesets'=Main menu.

Add the first movie; in the Video + Audio Files dialog click on 'Edit Pre/Post Command'. In the next dialog, click into the lower frame: 'Post Commands'
    Enter the command: JumpVTS_TT TitleSet1_Title2 (or select it from the menu: Jump - Jump title - 'JumpVTS_TT TitleSet1_Title2')
    Close this dialog and the Video + Audio Files dialog with ok.
    Add the second movie (the invisible part 1b); Close Video + Audio Files dialog with ok (nothing special to do here). Right click on the created Film-button (second movie); click on 'Hide'.
    Add the third movie; use the post command 'JumpVTS_TT TitleSet1_Title4'
    Add the fourth movie and hide the Film-button

If the 'possibly of slightly different video standards' will not allow to use 'No titlesets' (different resolution, aspect ratio, type and or number of audio streams...), it is more complicated, as it is not allowed to jump from a title in one titleset to another title in another titleset. This has to be linked by MainSubmenus:

Add the first movie; in the Video + Audio Files dialog click on 'Edit Pre/Post Command'. In the next dialog, click into the lower frame: 'Post Commands'
    Enter the command: CallSS RSM=1, MainSubMenu1 (or select it from the menu: Jump - Jump Menu - 'CallSS RSM=1, MainSubMenu1')
    Add a new menu on the main menu with standard settings. Hide the resulting Menu-button. Open the MainSubMenu1 (either from the project explorer or with GoTo from the menu). Right click on the menu background
    In the 'Menu and Background properties' dialog click on 'Advanced Pre/Post Command Editor'. Delete the actual Pre Command and use 'JumpTT TitleSet2_Title1' instead.
    Add the second movie (the invisible part 1b) here on the MainSubMenu1; in the Video + Audio Files dialog click on 'Edit Pre/Post Command'. In the next dialog, click into the lower frame: 'Post Commands'. Enter the command: CallSS RSM=1, MainMenu
    Open the Main menu again and add the third movie. Use the Post command 'CallSS RSM=1, MainSubMenu2'
    Add a new submenu (MainSubMenu2) for the fourth movie. Hide the button, put the movie there, use 'CallSS RSM=1, MainMenu' as post command for the movie and 'JumpTT TitleSet4_Title1' as pre command for the menu (MainSubMenu2)...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks. I try to figure it out. Since I figured out how to merge the extra 7 min file on day2, day3, day4, I just have this problem on day1 because that 7 min file is slightly different (video source from vcr) and can't be easily merged with the 1hr 54min file. If I am not able to follow your directions, then I will just put a menu button for day1 part2.
    Just one more question. If I want a title (video) to play through and then go to the next title (video), not stop, not repeat, but continue on to the next menu item until the end of the entire disk, how should I do this?
    EDIT: I did an experiment. I added the first video (day1) and then added part2 and hid that button and then ticked "Next Title" for end action. Now when I play the DVD and click on day1, the video will play and automatically continue to part2 and play part2.
    This is what I want. I still need to add files for day2, day3 and day4, but there is no part b for these videos, so I think it should work. There is no other menu other than when you insert the DVD, you should see like the above screenshot (day1, day2, day3, day4). Clicking any day should start the DVD at that point, for example, if you click day2, then day 2 video should start and the disk should continue playing until the end of the DVD. I am putting chapter points every 10 minutes, but there is no menu associated with the chapters. The chapters are just a very convenient way to use the "next" button on the DVD player to skip forward.

Quote Quote  
  7. Clicking any day should start the DVD at that point, for example, if you click day2, then day 2 video should start and the disk should continue playing until the end of the DVD
    Ok. If that is what you want, it is exactly what 'Next title' does. No need to change any pre/post commands yourself.
    BTW: My explanation assumes MuxMan as authoring engine. If you use dvdauthor, the syntax of the pre and post commands would be different. The general procedure is nevertheless the same.
    Quote Quote