VideoHelp Forum


Try DVD Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread
  1. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Probably a rather stupid question, but do all or most DTV converter boxes assume you're using a 4:3 TV?

    I've got a cheap RCA box attached to an HDTV - yes, it's capable of receiving the channels itself, and does, but I still wanted to use my old VCR. The RCA box wants to output in 4:3 only, and pseudo-widescreens the DTV signal.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Probably a rather stupid question, but do all or most DTV converter boxes assume you're using a 4:3 TV?

    I've got a cheap RCA box attached to an HDTV - yes, it's capable of receiving the channels itself, and does, but I still wanted to use my old VCR. The RCA box wants to output in 4:3 only, and pseudo-widescreens the DTV signal.
    Gov't approved DTV converters output only analog composite or sometimes S-Video. They assume a 4:3 analog conventional TV.

    "pseudo-widescreens the DTV signal"

    You mean letterbox?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Gov't approved DTV converters output only analog composite or sometimes S-Video. They assume a 4:3 analog conventional TV.
    Ah, I thought that might be the case. Guess I'll just have to live with it, then; it wasn't really a big deal.

    Originally Posted by edDV
    "pseudo-widescreens the DTV signal"

    You mean letterbox?
    Yeah - I blanked on that term for a moment. Thanks.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    The Zenith gives two settings.
    I have it connected to a DVD recorder thence to the TV.
    I can't tell the OTA into the TV and the analog from the converter, apart.

    Quote Quote  
  5. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Which Zenith model is this?

    Are you getting ATSC broadcast for OTA? That NBC logo doesn't match ATSC here.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Some coupon-eligible converter boxes have more than two options for picture size, but only on HD channels. Mine has "normal" for letterbox, "full" for anamorphic, and "Zoom" for full-screen.

    [edit] I am watching an ATSC channel now (via converter box) and just saw the same NBC logo pictured. The all-green one is used with the game info, but it appears by itself at times.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Zenith DTT901.
    The HDTV OTA feed is from the NBC affiliate in Detroit.

    Originally Posted by edDV
    Which Zenith model is this?

    Are you getting ATSC broadcast for OTA? That NBC logo doesn't match ATSC here.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads