VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to put short video clip (for presentation ,about 6min long) but on CD-R disc (MiniDVD), with simple menu.
    I have to make about 300 copies.
    Any sugestion how can I create MiniDVD (Resolution, max.Video Bitrate, Audio Bitrate, software for creating and burning MiniDVD and so).
    Rgards.
    QUALITY HAS A NAME
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There aren't many tools that do mini-DVDs simply because very few players would actually play them. DVD media is so cheap you are better off using that and authoring a real DVD if you need DVD quality. Otherwise look at VCD and live with the very minimal interactivity it affords you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is nothing special needed to make a dvd on cd. just make sure the files are under 700mb and burn the audio_ts and video_ts folders onto cd media as "data". that's it. it will probably only play on computers as standalones don't play the format as a rule. but hopefully you already know that.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You DEFINITELY need to read aedipuss' post very carefully and understand that the majority of standalone DVD players will NOT be able to play such discs. If you want to do it and you want to retain some hope of a DVD player being able to play (again, most will not, but a few will be able to play it), you MUST keep the bit rate below 4000 Kbps. Whatever you encode with, be sure that the maximum bit rate doesn't exceed 4000 Kbps. I would not recommend TMPGenc for this but instead something like CCE or HCenc. Just use any DVD resolution you wish. The audio bit rate should be low too as space will be precious on CD-R for DVD video and you'll need to save as much as possible. My recommendation for audio would be AC3 at a bit rate of not more than 192 Kbps and 2 channels only - do NOT use 5.1 AC3 on such a small disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think 4000 for bitrate is too optimistic a number (after testing something like that on my player). Most players will hiccup at bitrates more than SVCD's (2600). But will work without a problem with 'audio+stills' (up to LPCM 24bit/48kHz) mini-DVDs. Of course, a special mode is needed for burning DVD-video on CDR, since ifo files contain pointers to physical sectors. Nero 6 Ultra has mini-DVD burning option. If your clips are full-rez videos, better to use DVDRs as suggested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    alex_ander - no special burning mode is used. ALL dvds whether on dvdr or cdr are just data files. period.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As the others already said, Nero 6 and higher can record *ready-made*
    VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders as cDVD (a better name than miniDVD i.m.o.).
    As a rule, standalones made in Asia "do not have too many prejudices"
    against DVD-video content recorded on a CD. Some of them will "hiccup" only if
    the video bitrate is greater than 5000 kbps --- which means, any resolution between
    352x480/576 and 544x480/576 should be quite adequate.
    But differently from what aedipuss wrote,
    cDVDs must not be burned simply as "data". The file VIDEO_TS.IFO must be the
    very first one on the filesystem/physical~track of the disc. Both mkisofs and
    ImgBurn are able to create a correctly-authored disc image for a VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    miniDVD or cDVD works fine here with the audio_ts folder as the first file. as long as the video_ts folder is somewhere in the root directory my standalone will play dvd on cd just fine. it's the same as dvd just written to cd. there is no "official" spec as it's not a recognized standard.

https://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/minidvd
    --
    Quote Quote