VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to video in the past 6 months and am running Adobe Premiere CS4 and trying to determine whether or not it is possible to import FLV files with nellymoser audio? I have been able to import FLV files but the audio will not come along. Is there support for Nellymoser audio and is that why I am not seeing any audio tracks? I know that the audio on the FLV is good. I tested it to be sure using Adobe Media Player.

I have also tried to extracting the audio using Adobe Media Player but the MP3 is empty when it spits it out.

Also when in Premiere CS4 after importing the FLV files the video seems to distort and make some crazy artifacts. I fear that this could be because of import settings but I cannot find any good documentation on importing FLV files, editing them, and then getting a quality FLV back out.

Again I tested the video before I imported into Premiere and it was fine. After export it looked bad and the artifacts were running wild and the video was skippy.

Any help in this are would be greatly appreciated. Are there plug-ins, workarounds, documentation that is actually helpful?

Thanks for your time and any comments that may help solve the mystery. We are looking for an editor that truly supports raw FLV editing and exporting since that is the format we use daily for the web.

Also if anyone knows of a quality editor out there that would allow me to edit raw flv from end to end as well as add basic transitions like a fade and cross dissolve that is what I am looking for. Premiere is one of the only programs that is good that I am able to import directly... although without audio at this point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FLV is an output format. Using it as source is not expected by professional software such as Adobe Premiere.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/supportedformats.html

Adding to lordsmurf's very correct post: FLV is one of the most highly-compressed video formats and is designed for playback using minimal disc space. As such, it is not edit-friendly in any way. If you want to use it in Premiere, you must upconvert the footage to one of Premiere's supported formats (see the link above). DV-AVI would be a fine choice.
    Quote Quote  
  4. One option is to use something to frameserve into Premiere (e.g. debugmode frameserver), but you have to transcode to "something" on export

For flv/nellymoser audio, you can do basic linear editing with simple fades with avidemux. It is very basic and doesn't have any of the frills of Vegas or Premiere. If you want you can swap containers from flv, or transcode either the audio or video to something Premiere accepts.

You can also extract raw streams from an .flv with flvextract.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the great post and replies. I will be looking into the options mentioned and see if I can't get one of them or a combo of them to work for me. Thanks for all your time!
    Quote Quote