VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys

I've got a collection of Blu-ray discs and want to add them to my media centre which I am in the process of setting up.

I've got a couple of 1TB hard drives and I want to be able to play the films from the hard drive, selecting whichever film I want and it just plays.

I am able to copy them from the discs to the hard drives and play them with menus etc. intact using Anydvd and PowerDVD, but I just want the film and an English audio track with no extras taking up more hard drive space than is necessary, if I want to watch the extras (which will be nowhere near as much as the films, I can just use the discs).

Can anyone point me in the direction of how it's done?

I have researched this significantly but the information I find seems to be very outdated and referring to software and techniques that are a year or so old, I'm sure there much be better software and quicker (and easier!) ways of doing it by now.

A walkthrough, tutorial, software recommendations, or helpful links would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

*EDIT* (just thought I should mention it)
    I have tried just playing the largest (generally around 20GB) .m2ts file which would make sense that file is the film...it does play with PowerDVD but always seems to be the directors commentary which plays rather than the proper soundtrack...I assume that must be in another file on the disc, but I'm mystified how to get it to work...it used to be so easy with DVD Shrink!
    Quote Quote  
  2. tsmuxer; select the main tracks that you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use Tsmuxer and open the main movie m2ts and remove the extra audio tracks.

And read https://www.videohelp.com/guides/how-to-decrypt-store-play-blu-ray-and-hd-dvd-discs-id1087#1087
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's excellent, thanks very much for your help, I'll investigate that now!

Looking at the tutorial links, it says about using daemon tools to mount a virtual drive, before I start, is it possible to play using PowerDVD without having to mount it first?

Because of the damned copy protection on a number of my games they will not work if they detect that software is loaded onto my system (it's great isn't it...if I pirated the games I wouldn't be worrying about that now...that's what you get for being honest!).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need it if you are just going to play the m2ts and not make any iso blu-ray images.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that PowerDVD and WinDVD both bowed to pressure from Hollyweird and they don't allow playing BluRay from hard drives. I have no idea if m2ts can be played or not, but you can't play rips on the latest releases of those programs. This has led to a great interest in older releases of the software on various file sharing networks. Anyway, this may be one of the reasons that some people are ripping ISOs and using Daemon Tools - I think that will work, but if you just rip to your hard drive it probably won't play.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the tips!

I must have an older version of PowerDVD (it came with the blu-ray burner) as I am able to export the whole disc using AnyDVD and then play it using PowerDVD.

OK, I've loaded up txmuxergui.exe and it seems straightforward, select the .m2ts file and then I presume audio streams.

I seem to be having a problem with Windows though...I use XP and when I try to select the file to extract it spins and thinks for a minute and comes up with the error message called 'disc is not formatted' The error message is "windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows".

Does XP have problems understanding what Blu-ray discs are then or is it an issue with my system? (Don't worry, I'm not going to go into fixing computer problems, just this one question
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The Big Cheese
    it does play with PowerDVD but always seems to be the directors commentary which plays rather than the proper soundtrack...I assume that must be in another file on the disc, but I'm mystified how to get it to work...
    PDVD or Nero Showtime doesn't play correctly the ripped m2ts files, they always skip the DTS-HD or True HD audio track during playback and use the next available AC3 audio track. This is the reason you hear the commentary or other languages upon playback and not the master audio track.

You can demux the DTS-HD audio track with TSmuxeR, convert it to AC3 with Eac3to and mux it back to the m2ts or a new m2ts with only the video and AC3 track, dropping all the extras and saving space. Just by changing the DTS-HD track to AC3 could save 3-5GB space.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The Big Cheese
    I seem to be having a problem with Windows though...I use XP and when I try to select the file to extract it spins and thinks for a minute and comes up with the error message called 'disc is not formatted' The error message is "windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows".

Does XP have problems understanding what Blu-ray discs are then or is it an issue with my system? (Don't worry, I'm not going to go into fixing computer problems, just this one question
    Just a guess - I'm wondering if the problem is that you don't have UDF 2.50 drivers. You see XP does not come with such drivers, but that's the disc format BluRay and HD DVD use. I don't have a BluRay or HD DVD drive on my PC, but I was able to play HD DVD format discs on DVD+R DL discs on my PC by adding some Toshiba UDF 2.50 drivers I found on the internet. People claim that PowerDVD and WinDVD come with the drivers you need for UDF 2.50, but that's actually not true.
    Quote Quote