VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Easy question. Fast. Only to be sure.
    Is it ok to copy the video_ts folder from a DVDR (No encryption, protection whatsoever) through windows explorer?
    I mean, just "drag n' drop" the folder?
    The reason I'm asking this is because I need a friend to send me the contents of a DVDR. But he doesn't know (nor wants to learn) anything about any decrypter or whatever... So I thought the easiest way was to have him drag and drop.
    Is that ok? I mean, after all, the files are not protected right? So in theory it shouldn't be a problem.
    Or should I teach him how to rip even if he doesn't want to learn?
    Could somebody help me with this? (And no "in theory" answers please. Could someone who actually KNOWS about this situation help? Its very important for me to get that DVD up and running ASAP)
    Thanks in advance to all of you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is done all the time with Windows Explorer, as long as it is not a copy protected movie.

EDIT: You described the DVD as not copy protected "anymore." Was it ever? If so, there may be legal issues with what you are trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi. Thanks for the answer.
    No. It has never been a copyrighted DVD. I made it so it shouldn't be.
    It was just a typo that "anymore" part.
    Just to make sure: He CAN just drag and drop the folder right?
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I do it all the time to back up my home made DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually have to run through RipIt4Me, and cannot just drag and drop. Not sure why, but they seem to do some weird stuff where things don't align right otherwise. Also, make sure he finalizes the disc too--half of mine don't need it, but half do before the computer even recognizes them.

RipIt4Me run DVD decrypter with the PSL and FixVTS and something else. Then I run VOB2MPG to get the actual mpeg files for editing, including removing commercials, so I can now watch almost any episode of the office commercial free.

If drag and drop isn't working for your friend, try something that works on commercial DVDs.
    Quote Quote