VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just feel the need to sing

no expirence as far as karaoke goes so i 'm looking for the name of a great/good program that is easy to use and works well and hopefully plays any format i may come across.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quicktime, using Midi/KAR files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of all things I use Winamp (2.97 from memory but that's not important)

THere are a number of plug ins which will isolate or remove the vocals leaving the rest untouched (or nearly untouched) in real time. They rely on a stereo source and are worth a play.

Failing that there used to be a winamp plugin that would play cdg files. What I did was but some CD+G disks from a Karaoke supplier and then ripped them to an mp3 and cdg file so I could play them from the laptop.

It all depends on what you want to do and how good you want the sound quality. THere are loads of midi files on the net with embeded lyrics (sometimes called .KAR file) - google as always is a great place to start.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It’s been about 10 years since I last looked at Karaoke (after being wined and dined and taken to a Karaoke bar while in Japan – didn’t mind singing since I don’t drink alcohol and everyone else in the party had consumed a bit).

Anyway, at the time I downloaded and played with quite a few programs that were purported to make your computer a Karaoke player – some did, some didn’t, but it was a lot of fun trying them out.

One of the programs that I did discover was Melody Assistant by Myriad Software: http://www.myriad-online.com/en/index.htm

Also look at: http://www.myriad-online.com/en/docs/diff.htm for more detail.

It is a program for writing, printing, and playing music and will play several different Karaoke formats. It has add-ons for scanning and converting sheet music (Omer), PDFtoMusic, and for singing (in various voices) the lyrics while playing a musical score (the first version sounded like a drunken Swede* - but it has improved with time.

*Sorry Baldrick, but that’s what it sounded like to me : )

All in all a very capable program for the very low price of $25US (plus options).
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote