VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I need to convert NTSC VHS tapes to PAL DVD (home videos from a long time ago). Could someone point me in the right direction for this. I have tried in the past to copy from a NTSC playback enabled VHS recorder to a PAL TV/DVD recorder, but this just gave me a black&white image.

thx

M
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    last I looked, it's a huge hassle to convert between formats with choppy results (maybe someone will jump in here and correct me since it's been a few years)
    most players in europe can play either so I'd keep it as NTSC for simplicity's sake
    try popping a NTSC DVD into your player and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zoobie is right. Most European DVD players will play both formats on PAL TV.
    Try it.
    I used to do conversion other way, but from I red NTSC to PAL is harder.
    Now I have a player which convert PAL to play on NTSC TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mcullen8320
    Hi,

I need to convert NTSC VHS tapes to PAL DVD (home videos from a long time ago). Could someone point me in the right direction for this. I have tried in the past to copy from a NTSC playback enabled VHS recorder to a PAL TV/DVD recorder, but this just gave me a black&white image.

thx

M
    European VHS machines can "play" NTSC with no problems....but computer capture cards
    and DVD Recorders usually cannot record the signal because the signal thrown out by these
    machines is neither PAL or NTSC....it is what is called a "quasi" signal.
    What you are attempting is not easy....and your problem is shared my many people.
    Quote Quote