VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using Camstudio 2.5, I forgot to actually swap applications and stop the recording. When I came back to the recorder, it had stopped recording by itself. I ended up recovering a 17gig AVI temp file (CRAM codec was detected from other avi files recorded with my version of Camstudio).

Interesting bits:

-I couldnt 'fix' the file using AVIMedic or DVR
    -After reading up some on this forum I tried playing the file using VLC which refuses to play it at all (so did Quicktime)
    -WMP says the movie is 18ish hours long, tho it should be about 45 mins
    -Resolution is read as 0x0, tho it should be 1600x1280
    -Gspot doesnt recognise file type

I'm very new to video files playing issues (or just video stuff alltogether) but I'm guessing it's not about the codec since I can play other Camstudio AVI. I'm guessing people not manually stopping Camstudio recording is a comon occurence but I couldnt find any info in the soft's FAQ or digging through Googling results.

Any ideas as to how I can get this file to play would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In most instances, if VLC can't play it, then it can't be fixed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After a quick check of the VLC homepage, I don't think it supports CRAM/the CamStudio codec. Or, at least I saw no mention of it. Maybe mplayer/mencoder does, I don't know.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last time that popped up I was able to get virtualdub to load it , but then picture was scewered.

Both sony vegas and ulead videostudio 9 were able to cure the problem on my end.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Snagit to capture movies off my screen and use the divx codec. I can then use Mpeg4modifier to repair the _snagtemp.avi that I find in my temporary folder. Snagit only supports a 2GB capture but if the files in the temp folder are a little bigger, I can usually save them. I have run into some files that I cannot fix and have to recapture.

I never use the CRAM codec because it is the ugliest compression you can get and because Mpeg4modifier will not repair non mpeg4 AVI.

I've tried 4 or 5 different avifix programs and none of them will even open the files.

My 1024x576 divx captures are 45 to 50 minutes and +/- 2 GB.

Since there was an error in the capture, the index is screwed up and your programs cannot read the file. It's possible that one of the Avifix programs out there can fix it but you won't know until you've tried them. I can sometimes open these files in VDub but it takes forever to try and read the index and if it finally does open, there's anywhere from 1 frame to a fews seconds since VDub can't read the other 45 minutes of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, Media Player Classic supports CRAM.
    Quote Quote