VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'm an absolute beginner in video editing and wanted to buy a small and not expensive digital camcorder as Toshiba Camileo HD is.
    I'd like to import its files into my iMovie'05 (inside my Apple Mac mini G4 PPC OS X 10.4) in order to do a little video editing. So I had a look on the Web and noticed that while iMovie works well with miniDV camcorders, it has problems with SD card ones (like Camileo HD). I had a look, then, for conversion programs and noticed FFMPEGX. Do you think it will do for my needs? I'll be grateful to you if you give me some advice about that.
    Best Regards
    P.S.
    Camileo HD data are: 1280x720 pixel, H264/MPEG-4 AVI output files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Inexpensive SD camcorder: Samsung SC-MX20. Captures as MP4 which you may then export (using MPEG Streamclip - free) as DV-Stream. iMovie is happiest with that format.

I'm not familiar with the Camileo. Have you been able to view its footage on your Mac? If so, MPEG Streamclip will also work.

edit: Oops. Just realized you're talking about HD. That's potentially a big problem as AVCHD doesn't really have a "standard" yet so you may or may not have problems. If the mini will recognize the native footage and play it without a problem, MPEG Streamclip should be able to convert it to DV-Stream.
    Quote Quote  
  3. First, I don't remember if iMovie'05 handle HD stream (version 6 does it, and you can download it on Apple site)
    Originally Posted by Alb1
    I'd like to import its files into my iMovie'05 (inside my Apple Mac mini G4 PPC OS X 10.4) in order to do a little video editing.
    Not sure (because I never test Camileo files) but I did a new module in my app. A converter from AVCHD (sony, pana, canon), .TOD (jvc) and Sanyo, to AIC (a quicktime format compliant with iMovie).
    This module is free (not the others features of the app )
    make your own test (ther is plenty of mpeg4, from iPod to AVCHD), if it is not handle, send an extract somewhere (to see if I can add this format)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted...
    Quote Quote  
  5. if you don't have iMovie'08, do not click on the installer app, but open the app ("contextual menu -> open bundle contents") and install it
    (I first updated iMovieHD like this, after I bought iLife'08, but now I only use iMovieHD - the next one is too bad )

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll take it into account (I'm still in doubt about buying a miniDV camcorder, as my Mac mini, maybe is not as powerful as it should in case I install iMovie HD or iMovie'08: G4 PPC 1.42 GHz OS X 10.4 80 GB hard drive).
    Best Regards
    Quote Quote