VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We have an Asus P4S533-MX motherboard with a Celeron 1.8 cpu.
    OS is winxp pro sp3 using raid 1
    The motherboard will accept a P4 cpu. The question is can we simply replace the Celeron with a P4 without reinstalling everything?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have done this on 2 machines without any problems. Go to the Asus website and find out exactly what processors you can use in your motherboard.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    number six(interesting avatar)

Thanks for your response. It is encouraging. This subject has been discussed in the past in this forum with mixed results. What exactly can we expect on the first boot after replacing the cpu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After replacing the CPU - you should go into BIOS setup before the operating system boots, just to make sure that the motherboard is identifying the chip correctly - save changes and exit. The operating system should boot normally as if nothing is different - go into Windows system properties and make sure that the processor is identified properly.

I have 2 Asus motherboards - P4P800 and P4T. I also replaced the CPU on a PCCHIPS motherboard.

Thanks for the compliment - I am a big Prisoner fan, and I also feel like a prisoner where I work
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks we wil give it a go
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Number Six
    The operating system should boot normally as if nothing is different - go into Windows system properties and make sure that the processor is identified properly.
    Not completely true. For Windows XP it should boot and detect new hardware (the CPU). It might want to install some drivers.

Should be easy enough. I wouldn't expect any problems if you get it installed properly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ive upgraded a few cpu's for winxp machines and it never had to install new drivers or detect new hardware,might just be the odd cpu upgrade tho.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may also need to flash the bios.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac
    You may also need to flash the bios.

Brainiac
    The Asus website will list all the processors that this motherboard can use, as well as the BIOS revision that is necessary for proper operation.

I just checked - all the P4 processors can use any BIOS revision, only certain Celeron processors have a specific BIOS requirement
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I was the one that started this thread and here are the results.
    After all the suggestions that a simple swap of the Celeron 1.8 with a P4 5.03 I made the swap.
    It did not work. When I hit the start button the fans came on but the monitor screen stayed blank.
    I tried several times then gave up and put the old Celeron back in and then all was well again.
    Would anyone care for a P4 5.03 cpu?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fwiw, Had same type of problem on an Abit board and the solution was to first update BIOS firmware, swap cpu, then hold down the Insert button while powering on machine. Had to power off and on a few times b4 the BIOS finally recognized/setup new CPU. Even then, I think I had to raise BIOS voltage and lower FSB for stable operation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are no P4 5.03 CPU - Do you mean P4 3.06 CPU?

I provided the link to the ASUS web page where you should have checked exactly what processors that your motherboard can use. If it is a P4 3.06 CPU that you are trying to install - the web page said that you can only use that CPU on a motherboard "Since PCB 2.0 or later support HT Function". The CPU specs are "P4-3.06 GHz (533 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, C1/D1)" - Since PCB: ALL, Since BIOS: ALL - This CPU should work for all functions except Hyper-Threading, unless your Board Level is 2.0 or higher.

Please post the model numbers of both of your CPUs so that I can check the manual and try to give you further instructions.

EDIT:

This may be a dumb question - did you buy a new CPU, or did you get a used one?

ALSO:

Before you change the CPU:

1. Enter BIOS
    2. Advanced Settings
    3. JumperFree Configuration
    4. AI Overclock Tuner - Set this to [STANDARD]
    5. Save Changes and Exit
    6. Reboot and make sure everything is OK
    7. Now try swapping the CPU
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Number Six,

You are correct about the cpu. I copied it down wrong. It is
    P4 3.06. Not sure what you are asking about both cpu's model no.

1. Intel Celeron 1.8Gh-installed and working
    2. Intel P4 3.06
    3. Motherboard P4s533MX Rev 1.xx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Etched on the metal plate of the CPU - there is the model number, frequency, L2, and FSB. For Example:

PENTIUM 4
    2.66GHZ/512/533
    SL6PE

You have a Rev 1.xx - so you can't use Hyper-Threading, but the CPU should work - unless it is defective - Was it NEW or USED?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had to use a magnifying glass to see it but here is what I found.

Pentium 4
    3.06/1M/533
    SL7NA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - There are 2 things wrong with this CPU that are preventing it from working:

1. This is a Mobile Processor - for a Laptop. Some desktop motherboards can use it, but yours can not.
    2. The L2 cache is 1M - The maximum L2 cache that your motherboard can accept is 512K - as per the ASUS processor web page for your motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the top picture.
    When comparing the bottom(connector) side they look entirely different. I think I should look for another processor.
    Any ideas where I might find one. Newegg's selection is kinda sparse. I bought this one on ebay.
    I do appreciate the effort that you are making to help me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I removed the pictures because more research told me that some of the mobile processors do look like desktop processors with a large metal plate .

There are a lot of processors listed on eBay - You must search for the right parameters:

3.06* 512* 533* -xeon -mobile -celeron

You may want to get a 2.80ghz processor - this way you do not have to deal with the Hyper-Threading issue

2.80* 512* 533* -xeon -mobile -celeron

Some people list things incorrectly - do not get any processor that says MOBILE, P4-M, PENTIUM-M, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I know what to look for.
    Couple of more questions--would a 280 produce a significant speed increase
    would updating the bios be of any benefit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Celeron 1.8 that you are using now is a 400 FSB with 128K cache. If you go to a P4 2.8, you will get a 533 FSB with 512K cache - It is a much more powerful processor, but any performance increase is dependent on the applications you will be using. You will not notice any difference for word processing or solitaire :P .

I am recommending the 2.8ghz processor to eliminate any issues with the Hyper-Threading because your Rev 1.xx motherboard can never use it. This is not changeable with a BIOS upgrade - the hardware on the motherboard can not support it.

Also, how much memory do you have? You may want to install 1GB total memory - you can go up to 2GB. This motherboard uses 2 kinds of memory - the 2 slots on the left are for 184 pin DDR, and the 2 slots on the right are for 168 pin SDRAM - you can not combine them.

Download the manual:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4S533-MX

You need Version E1187 - English
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A bit of good news:

I finally got in touch with the people that I got this thing from and they have agreed to exchange it for a P4 288.
    I will send this one today and should hear from them sometime next week. I will let you know how it turns out.

regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ASUS web site specifically lists a P4 2.80/512/533 processor - it does not list a P4 2.88.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct-it is 280. I'm having one of those bad days. I'm going to bed early tonight and hope tomorrow
    is much better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I definitely have had many days like that!

I just do not want you to have another failure - there are too many processors out there.

Please post your results and any other questions as necessary
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was reading this thread with interest to see if you eventually won......what happened mysts??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MpegEncoder
    Originally Posted by Number Six
    The operating system should boot normally as if nothing is different - go into Windows system properties and make sure that the processor is identified properly.
    Not completely true. For Windows XP it should boot and detect new hardware (the CPU). It might want to install some drivers.

Should be easy enough. I wouldn't expect any problems if you get it installed properly.
    And depending on the WinXP install ... Dell .. HP ... should be alright but for us who make our own PCs ... Microsoft may want you to re-activate it ... no biggy ... just time consuming.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a Pentium 4 2.6 on ebay but it had a bent pin. I have sent it back for a replacement. No winner yet. Thanks for asking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The type of Cpu you are looking for ... sounds like the ones in a HP D530C ... they are on Ebay with Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ ... no hyperthread.

Im just saying this because it gives you a starting place.

Socket 478 ... is this type of socket it uses ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just happen to have one of those ... I believe you are looking for ... I got a few months ago on Ebay
    for a HP D530C PC

pc100031.jpg

pc100032.jpg it does have pins ... even tho you cant see them ... looking straight down.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mysts
    A bit of good news:

I finally got in touch with the people that I got this thing from and they have agreed to exchange it for a P4 288.
    I will send this one today and should hear from them sometime next week. I will let you know how it turns out.

regards
    I thought that the seller was going to swap it for you? What Happened?
    Quote Quote