VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Haven't taken the HDTV plunge yet, but am thinking about picking up the Philips 5990. Since I have a reasonably nice computer monitor (HP w2408h) that has an HDMI port and runs at 1920x1200 natively, I was wondering if I hook up a DVD player such as the Philips 5990 to an HDMI port on a computer monitor, will it actually work or will the DVD player only work on TV's?

If it does work, anyone know what limitations this set up may have?

Thanks,

Kibble
    Quote Quote  
  2. The descript at Amazon.com says you can do exactly that:

http://www.amazon.com/W2408H-24-inch-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B0013AHADQ

Connect your DVD player or gaming console with a single HDMI cable directly to your monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kibble
    Haven't taken the HDTV plunge yet, but am thinking about picking up the Philips 5990. Since I have a reasonably nice computer monitor (HP w2408h) that has an HDMI port and runs at 1920x1200 natively, I was wondering if I hook up a DVD player such as the Philips 5990 to an HDMI port on a computer monitor, will it actually work or will the DVD player only work on TVs?

If it does work, anyone know what limitations this set up may have?

Thanks,

Kibble
    The only "problem" is how the monitor scales 1920x1080i or 1280x720p to 1920x1200. A smart monitor will scale 16:9 aspect ratio to square pixel 1920x1080 with letterbox but most computer monitors will stretch the signal vertically to 16:10 (tallish people). Some might keep square pixels and vert. scale to 1200 but chop off the sides.

Another issue will be getting a monitor brightness/contrast setting that gets a good HDMI black and good computer monitor quality from DVI-D at the same time. Ideally the monitor has independent settings per input but most don't.

Don't expect the scaler-deinterlacer quality to match a good LCD-TV. Best to output progressive from the HDMI source.

Good luck.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Interesting you bring this up. I actually did this a week ago. I used my new 24" sceptre LCD monitor as a live preview screen from my Canon HV20. Looked great but it does 1920x1200 and offers full 1080P support as well.

I bought it from Costco a few months ago for $280
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My eyes dislike 16:10 tall people so I use my Samsung computer monitors for HDMI only when nothing else is available. It is possible to do a custom compressed V-Size stored monitor setting to get closer to square pixels.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Since I need a new player for the main tv anyways, I'll pick one up tonight and let you know how it turns out. If it works well, I guess I'll be getting two.

Kibble
    Quote Quote