VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    what happens if you ripped the IFO and VOB files with DVD-D but no BUP files ripped out? Where do you go from there to burn the VOBs?
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" ~ JOHN MILTON, PARADISE LOST
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The BUP's are just exact backup copies of the corresponding IFO. You can manually make a copy & rename it yourself
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so how would I do that one? I am at kind of a loss here on this one, and have been having some troubles trying to figure out what to burn the VOB files with...I have one IFO file and four VOBs...no BUPs...I have tried to burn the files with many programs, and all work in my laptop, but none will work in my DVD player...I am almost ready to break down and buy (**shudders**) Nero, which is horrendous, to burn these files with!

I have tried ImgBurn, DVDShrink, and a host of other programs, and I honestly believe one reason why I am having these problems is because I am using Vista, but I really do not know, because there are so many guides out there, and I have tried many of them, but none of the guides I have read seem to do it for me...mostly in part because 90% of them use Nero...

Any ideas on how to go forward from here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do what tjohns suggested. Copy the .ifo files to a sepreate directory. Then right click them and change the extension to .bup. Then recopy them back to the original directory and try burning again with imgburn.

FYI VISTA should not be the problem as many people here use VISTA for dvd burning and don't have problems (myself included - vista premium here).

ALSO - please don't dig up old posts for an unrelated topic. You can make a new post in the appropriate forum so you can get a better response to your question.

YODA313 - MODERATOR
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually you don't even need to copy them to a separate directory.. just rt. click and drag and drop, then the option to 'copy here' can be selected. then you can change the name and extention right there.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  6. If all he has are the VOBs and just one IFO, he'll need more than just the corresponding BUP file. He'll also need a VIDEO_TS.IFO and BUP.

My suggestion is to decrypt again, doing it right this time. Or drag-and-drop them from the original DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course another option is to import the vob directly into something like tmpgenc dvd author and make a new dvd. Or use vob2mpg and get a mpg to start over with and bypass the original structure.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If all you're missing are the .bup files, you can open the folder with DVD Shrink and backup to a new folder. Shrink will create new .bup files.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can easily create the VIDEO_TS.IFO (video manager) with the old freeware version of DVDFab.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ifoedit is still a great tool for creating new IFO/BUP files as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again, and allow me to preface my reply with a resounding thank you for all the responses so far!

Ok, so...down to IFOEdit: I seem to receive an error with it, which says "COULD NOT FIND ANY VOB UNIT IN VOB FILE(S)".

I have tried using many of the tools that you have all suggested herein, but seem to be hitting the proverbial brick wall when it comes to these programs...perhaps it is just that I am having a hard time wrapping my head around some of the concepts surrounding these programs...who knows...

I will post more of the errors as I encounter them...perhaps after I understand these concepts and programs more thoroughly I will be more adequately educated in the way of burning DVDs, since these are my first forays into the world of DVD burning/authoring.

Thanks again for all the help...

HmNtr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go back tot he original DVDs and re-rip them properly. It sounds like the failure is at the ripping stage, and everything after that is prone to failure because your VOBs are screwed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that is pretty much what I was thinking as well...as I said, this is my first real foray into the world of DVD Authoring/Burning, so it is a learning process...I just wish that I could find out WTF I did wrong, if anything, when I had initially ripped them... maybe it is the decoder that was used, which if I remember correctly was DVD2SVCD 1.2.1 build 3, which is one of the freeware programs one of my young co-workers had installed on my laptop...if I remember correctly, the files were ripped by the BATCH PREPARE method...

IMHO, it just seems so much simpler to use DVD-D, ImgBurn, and very few other tools, so that there is an ISO and an MDS file created, which just seems to be the simplest way to rip/burn backups, then use ImgBurn or something similar to burn the image file to disc...

Thanks again for all the help, I guess that I am going to have to take all these movies that I have been backing up and delete them, then start from scratch...thanks again for all the help everyone...

HmNtr
    Quote Quote