VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I say 'delete' I mean deselecting all the other languages / subtitles before recoding / decrypting

Or even deleting or not ripping some tracks such as the 'comeing soon' sections.

What I mean is say I dont encode any of the subtitles and other languages, audio tracks, what happens when palying the disc and I press the subtitles or audio buttons, will it just not do anything, or throw a wobbler and crash?

What about those discs that start with a language selection, if all the other languages have been deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you are asking. If you delete or de-select them, they don't get passed on to the DVD. There are more advanced tools like PgcEdit or IfoEdit that may help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, I'm not entirely sure of the question either. But there are proper and improper ways to get rid of stuff you don't want. You don't just go around deleting VOBs you don't want. You use the correct tool for the job. Correct tools might include PGCEdit, VobBlanker, and/or DVD Shrink.

Doing it correctly might also include making sure the menu buttons that would have selected those extras, subtitles, or audio streams that are no longer there are disabled. PGCEdit or MenuEdit are the tools for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think your head explodes...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont mean just deleting files, what I mean is :-

1) in the decrypting tool I deselect subtitles and all the audio tracks except the main one (easily done in DVDFab) and then burn the resultant rip to a DVDR.

2) while watching the original disk I notice that say track 3-7 are coming soon trailers so I when I rip the disc I do not select those tracks.

Since track 1 is still there the disc starts where it should but will it jump from (in the above example from track 2 to 8 ) because of the stuff its not there by itself or will it try to find the missing stuff and hang.

I guess it depends on if discs just play the tracks in order so it does not really matter what the number is or if it always tries to play track 4 after track 3 so if track 4 is missing then there will be a problem - thats the part I do not know.

What I am really asking is if doing this deleting does not have any problems then it is easier to remove stuff but if it means having to redo menus, button options etc then I wont bother.

Most DVD ripping / encoding / decrypting software will scan the disk and give you a list of tracks, audio, subtitles with the option of selecting what you want to convert. But if doing this then produces data that is not usuable untill you have re-made menus etc whats the point.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The programs manono mentions can be used to 'clean up' the disc, but it will take some study.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on the tools you use.

If you rip a DVD without ripping all the subtitles or audio tracks with DVD Shrink, selecting them from the menu has no effect.

If you blank a title in shrink you will play through it for the duration of the title, even though the screen may remain blank or just show a still image. VOBBlanker or PGCEdit, on the other hand, can eradicate the title completely so you just skip over it.

Mostly it comes down to just how well the disc is re-authored by these tools.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    I think your head explodes...
    No that's "Implode" from the black hole in "enter name here" head sucking everything into it.

What redwudz said, nothing is deleted, just not passed on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you delete subtitles and languages when ripping, it should have no effect of any kind. Selecting those languages/subs will simply do nothing. You may hear silence if you select a deleted audio language, but it won't crash your PC or DVD player.

Generally speaking if trailers, etc. are missing they will simply be skipped. If you know what you are doing it is possible to use a tool like IFOEdit or maybe PgcEdit to go directly to the main menu and skip anti-piracy warnings and such.

It depends on the tool(s) you use and what you do, but generally it's safe to deselect certain things like trailers and so on when ripping. Yes, it is possible (depending on how the original DVD was put together) to not rip something and wind up with an unplayable DVD, but again that depends on what you are using and how you are doing it. If you use something like DVD Shrink you won't have this problem.

I can't give an iron clad guarantee that deselecting trailers will work correctly 100% of the time as there is always the possibility of something going wrong due to very poor DVD authoring, but the possibility of such happening is quite low, so low that you are unlikely to encounter it. I would not worry about it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mtdg,

If I'm understanding your need correctly, you should find a tool that has a 'movie only' option. Many rippers and converters have this built in and take care of all the hard work for you.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote