VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to burn a DVD file from my hard drive onto a Verbatim DVD+R (i.d. MCC-004-00) disc via Nero was getting the message: " There is not enough space to burn this compilation to this disc....." Search of previous threads produced the same error, but no definitive answers. The same file burned comfortably on a TY and two other versions of Verbatim. Tried burning disc to disc on another computer, one of the burned discs to the same Verbatim DVD+R, and got the same " There is not enough space to burn this compilation to this disc....." ???

After noseing around on my HDD, I noticed that all Dvdshrink compressed files were 4.35gb, but the one in question was 4.37gb. This one Verbatim was choking on the 4.7gb files, but handled 4.35gb. It appears some dvds can only handle 4.35 and some can handle 4.37gb.

Why does Shrink sometimes produce compressed files that are 4.35gb and sometimes 4.37gb, and shouldn't all dvd-r's be able to handle both ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using Imgburn and see if you still have the same problem
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I explained above, its not a Nero problem, its a 'how come' Shrink sometimes produces 4.35gb and sometimes a 4.37gb, which some Verbatim seems to choke on ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I used to have similar problems. I concluded that the output size was occasionally incorrect in DVD Shrink after doing a lot of editing/reauthoring, probably some kind of bug. My solution was to set the preferences in DVD Shrink to DVD-9 (8.5G). I leave it there, no matter what I'm doing. Since then I've had no such problems.

If I'm ripping/reauthoring for a DVD-5, I just watch the slider bar in DVD Shrink. You can get a maximum 4,464 MB on a DVD-5. As long as you keep it to that maximum amount, it always burns OK on a single sided disc. At least it has in my experience.

There are occasional discs that won't burn to the full 4,464 MB because they're faulty around the outer edge. In that case just try again with another disc. Also there's a slight difference in capacity with +R versus -R discs, and I always use -R singlesided discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also there's a slight difference in capacity with +R versus -R discs, and I always use -R singlesided discs
    Thats interesting. I didn't realise that. Whats the difference ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. They can both handle 4.37GB, but not much more.

DVD+R=4,483MB 4,700,372,992 bytes or 4.377GB
    DVD-R=4,489MB 4,706,074,624 bytes or 4.383GB

For what it's worth, I use DVD+Rs. And if I were you, I'd take guns1inger's suggestion to try ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When I used Shrink more, I reduced the output size by about 100 - 200MB and never had any oversize issues. You really don't lose that much quality and always have a good backup. If you tend to use cheaper grade DVD media, that also helps avoid the problematic area on the outer area of those discs.
    Quote Quote