VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok I am looking to convert a dvd into mkv. I am looking for the best possibly quality and don't really care how long it takes or the size. I just need it to be compatible with my Popcorn media player.
    Here are my questions:

- what is the best (maybe easiest) tool for this, and is there a guide for it?
    - what settings should i follow to allow this to play on that media player

I am not apposed to using a one-click solution if that will be easiest and give me good quality. But I really do want to keep the quality for this one.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4psp, load the DVD(rip using DVD Fab Decrypter or use ANyDVD), choose mkv format, h264 video, copy audio(to keep ac3 or dts track). If you don't need a specific file size use Constant Quality/Quantizer h264 encoding mode.

You can also use megui, ripbot264, staxrip, automkv, fairuse wizard but I think xvid4psp is easiest.

But doesn't the popcorn hour support dvd isos? No quality loss....but I guess you want smaller file size?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Popcorn hour does support the isos but they have to be on a USB drive or internal hard drive. I am using myIhome to stream from my PC. But currently that software doesn't support DVD ISO's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You basically want AVC high@4.1 or lower. Most GUI's will have presets for "AVC Standalone" which corresponds to blu-ray players - this will be the same. It won't play if you have too many reference frames or b-frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So basically do all GUI's produce the same quality? So if I were to use any of the one's that Baldrick suggested, is my ouput going to be the same?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. They all use x264.exe as the back end - the GUI's are just front ends. If they use the same x264.exe version, and you enter the same settings they will give identical output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. some gui add filters, other .. no

so the output could not be identical

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Xvid4psp, load the DVD(rip using DVD Fab Decrypter or use ANyDVD), choose mkv format, h264 video, copy audio(to keep ac3 or dts track). If you don't need a specific file size use Constant Quality/Quantizer h264 encoding mode.

You can also use megui, ripbot264, staxrip, automkv, fairuse wizard but I think xvid4psp is easiest.

But doesn't the popcorn hour support dvd isos? No quality loss....but I guess you want smaller file size?
    Does anyone one know which option in FairUse I should use to achieve what I am looking for? I am confused by H.264/AAC/MP4 or H.264/AC3/AVI??

Just curious as to which one will give me a compatible .mkv to play on the Popcorn.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    FairUse Wizard can't make mkv...just mp4 and avi. mp4 should work on your popcorn hour and is better for h264 but you can' keep the ac3 then.

edit: okey, you can make mkv so ignore this. I just checked the custom profiles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fairuse Wizard can make mkv

As far as his quality that may take some tinkering around till her finds what he wants
    Quote Quote  
  11. Cool, guess i will have to get the 2.9 version (I have 2.8). I was using Xvid4psp and wasn't sure really what the proper video settings I needed to try to make the file compatible. I will play around and see what I can find.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote