VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    even better to an Asus WL-520GU Wireless Router w/ USB Port .straming from pc to the WD
    While this would be an even better "want," the problem is that the WD media player can't get on the network. Or am I missing something? So, I was hoping I could at least bring its storage to the network as a compromise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anyone high bitrate Xvid/Divx files?
    I'm talkin 704/3xx @ 3500kbs or better with AC3 5.1
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by stiltman
    Anyone high bitrate Xvid/Divx files?
    upload one for testing
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MJA
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Anyone high bitrate Xvid/Divx files?
    upload one for testing
    Thanks, if I get a chance, I'll do it tonight
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a breakdown review:
    http://maddhat.com/?p=31
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ricoman
    Here is a breakdown review:
    http://maddhat.com/?p=31

excellent review with Pix
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    This thing is remarkable. I was considering a Sansa TakeTV or a Iomega Screen Play but those only play Divx/Xvid while the WD plays nearly everything you throw at it for the same price. Best of all, the user manual gives instructions for updating the firmware which WD states will be upgraded to improve file compatibility.

When coupled with a flash drive, this unit provides high def playback with absolutely no noise. That claim cannot be made with BluRay, TIVO 3, HTPC, PS3, etc.

The one disappointment is that it will not play .ts files directly. The mpeg must first be extracted. There are several tools to convert transport streams to mpeg's very quickly, but it would be nice to record OTA high def programs on my computer with the saving location of the file being an external drive that I can simply plug into the WD device at my convenience. Maybe that will be upgraded in the future. The high def MPEG's load very quickly, though.

Before heading to Best Buy, check their inventory online. Today there was no inventory in the online store and only 1 store out of 5 in my area had them in stock.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ysb
    Can this play display subtitles when playing VOB files?

Also, how does this player handle VOB files? Do you play the the first one and it automatically plays the rest? How about chapter points? Can it jump between chapter points? What about DVD menus?

Thanks for any answers.
    I just bought one of these today. It has the capability of turning subtitles on and off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster
    The one disappointment is that it will not play .ts files directly. The mpeg must first be extracted. There are several tools to convert transport streams to mpeg's very quickly, but it would be nice to record OTA high def programs on my computer with the saving location of the file being an external drive that I can simply plug into the WD device at my convenience. Maybe that will be upgraded in the future. The high def MPEG's load very quickly, though.
    You don't have to convert .TS files to MPEG's program streams (if that what you mean). Just use tsRemux and convert .TS to .M2TS. That's what I do for PS3 because it doesn't play .TS files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I use VideoRedo which completes the task as fast as it takes to rewrite the file. My point is that it is an extra step that shouldn't have to take place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster
    I use VideoRedo which completes the task as fast as it takes to rewrite the file. My point is that it is an extra step that shouldn't have to take place.
    Well, what can we do. It looks like .TS container is not supported in hardware players (i.e. WD, or PS3).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Here's the link (22mb)
    Link removed (I removed the test video from my site)

This is my average conversion

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About .ts file support, I've seen a couple of posts on other boards stating that you can play them on the WD by simply renaming the file extension to either .mpg or .m2ts. I haven't tried this myself.

@Stiltman,
    Your Transformers test clip played fine on the WD.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Squash
    @Stiltman,
    Your Transformers test clip played fine on the WD.
    Thanks for testing my test

I have a lot of conversions that are around that kbs. I know my standalone plays them fine (even though the manual says it wont play 448kbs AC3) It's now nice to know I have another option. My standalone also has a HDMI input, so I can run this on through it's input if I need too.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn, not available in Canada. Anybody know of any online retailers selling it?

I checked all the usual ones (NCIX,BB,FS,ca.buy.com,etc)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    Damn, not available in Canada. Anybody know of any online retailers selling it?

I checked all the usual ones (NCIX,BB,FS,ca.buy.com,etc)
    I found a seller on AMAZON.COM that is selling the WDAVN00BN and you can contact them directly via a toll free 800 phone number.

Just search for "WDAVN00BN" on AMAZON.COM and then click on the name of the seller and the contact phone number pops up on their "About Me" page.

So my suggestion is to give them a phone call and see if they are willing to ship to Canada.

Although this thing seems to be brand spanking new so my guess is that it will eventually make it to Canada sooner than later ... if you have a lil bit of patience I think that will "pay off".

Then again I know the feeling of wanting something NOW !!! 8)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips 5990 was released in April in the US, then released in September-October in Canada. We always play the waiting game here in Canada, lol.

I'm really excited about this product as it can be my affordable USB media player that I've wanted. I called the seller with the search you provided and he said shipping would be $40. Eh, I will just be patient and wait. Hopefully it gets released before new years.

On a side note, a representive from Western Digital made a few posts over at the MacWorld forums concerning the WD TV HD. One post that concern is this

"These are all great ideas. We are already working on the next generation WD TV and of course we like feedback to help improve our products. "

They just released this product but are already working on the next revision of the WD TV HD?
    Quote Quote  
  18. just cross the the borders to Michigan
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They just released this product but are already working on the next revision of the WD TV HD?
    They should have advertised it and gotten user input before going into production on the first one. My only real problem with it is that it doesn't power down the USB port when you turn it off. I guess this is just so the player will automatically turn on when plugging a device in. But I would much rather have to turn the device on manually than unplug it or my USB drive everytime I'm done watching anything. Who want's to keep their USB device alive 24/7? Perhaps I'll return it and wait for the 2nd generation WD TV.
    Quote Quote  
  20. both of my dvd players Philips 82/90 are the same .USB devices are always on.

Who want's to keep their USB device alive 24/7? Perhaps I'll return it and wait for the 2nd generation WD TV
    doubt that
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to change the extension of your .divx files or it will not play them. I tried one on a thumbdrive and it showed the file as a dat file with no name and when I pushed play, it said there was no audio and would not play the video.

Out of curiosity, I changed the extension to AVI of some HD Divx files I had and left one as .divx and put them on an external HDD and the unit read them all except the ,divx file. It gave no errors this time, just didn't show the file.

I keep getting pixelation and losing the audio for a few seconds. Not sure if it's the unit or the external harddrive.

EDIT: With the firmware update, you no longer have to change the extension of your .divx files to .avi. It will now see and play them as is.
    Quote Quote  
  22. how do I extract AVCHD ISO's? Arnt I suppose to extract the streams for WD HD , because it wont read iso's right?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    both of my dvd players Philips 82/90 are the same .USB devices are always on.

Who want's to keep their USB device alive 24/7? Perhaps I'll return it and wait for the 2nd generation WD TV
    doubt that
    My 5982 powers down the external hard drive when I power off the unit. I know its not running because the hard drive enclosure is cool to the touch and also it makes that powering down sound when I turn off the it.

The factory firmware may not do this but Ryan Jefferson's modded firmware does
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Squash
    About .ts file support, I've seen a couple of posts on other boards stating that you can play them on the WD by simply renaming the file extension to either .mpg or .m2ts. I haven't tried this myself.
    Yep, that will do it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 5982 powers down the external hard drive when I power off the unit. I know its not running because the hard drive enclosure is cool to the touch and also it makes that powering down sound when I turn off the it.

The factory firmware may not do this but Ryan Jefferson's modded firmware does
    Yeah. My 5990 has modded firmware, I didn't even think about that. Hopefully someone will release some custom firmware for the WD player soon that will fix the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish there was a way to keep the progress bar from popping up every time you start a video. I know there's an option to show the progress bar but turning it off still doesn't keep it from showing the first 10 seconds of every video. It's very annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one great device...finally I can watch my Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR recordings in true HD without a HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NCIX has it in stock for those in canada. Its been confirmed that $149.99 will be the regular price in canada, be it at best buy or anywhere else

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=98329J&vpn=WDAVN00BN&manufacture=WESTERN%20...ETAIL%20DRIVES
    Quote Quote  
  29. Good news.The price is up $129 .
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A great little device! Doesn't trump Popcorn Hour's A-110 player, but for it's price, availability, and basic functions, this is real winner. Here are some initial observations with my WD HD player:

SUBTITLE SUPPORT needs much improvement. This is my biggest disappointment so far. In my tests, only .srt format subtitles will play. NO other subtitle formats (sub/idx, ASS, UTF-8, etc.) will play from MKV or AVI containers. Haven't tried DVD subs yet but others have mentioned those won't play either. Can anyone confirm this? If so, please note whether DVD testing is from ISO file or extracted VIDEO_TS folder (does WD even play from VIDEO_TS folder?). I'll have to try that too.

Also, it won't play VC-1 (Microsoft) encoded HD video in WMV containers. There are many such types being posted now. I tried 10 but none would play. Hopefully, a firmware update will enable playback for this format.

Can anyone confirm DTS audio playback from MKV via HDMI connection? My Popcorn Hour A110 won't even do that right now so that would be quite impressive.

Overall, a great buy for $99. Popcorn Hour A110 costs $215 but does a LOT more. For those with simpler requirements, the WD HD is an excellent choice.
    Quote Quote