VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the time I use Handbrake to convert DVDs I have recorded on a set-top-box and there are no problems with the final output but there are a couple of situations I am having problems with:-

1) If I use an old set-top-box, it is all set up at 16:9 and when I play it back on either of my two set-top boxes it looks normal but on my PC it is a squashed 4:3 image.

2) If I use DVDFab HD Decrypter then Handbrake on 'proper' discs they are squashed pictures due to the wider screen size of the DVD compared with the PSP screen.

So is there a bit of convertion software that will :-

a) Stretch and maybe squash a picture when needed.

b) Look at the original aspect ratio and add black bars to the top/bottom (and maybe left / right if it is a 4:3 image) to keep the biggest side as big as possible but the overall size is still PSP size.

The perfect solution would replace Handbrake but if its a bit of extra software I have to run afterwards (maybe using Handbreak to convert to a general format first that preseves the aspect ratio then the resizing / stretching / bars are added after to get it to PSP size) then that OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not try another program? Xvid4psp is a popular one here.

Also quick question - could some of these issue dvds be Letterboxed? If they are 2.35:1 NON ANAMORPHIC than they will stay inside a 4:3 frame. Only monitors with flexible zooming will stretch it properly without distortion.

You would have to do some searching on this forum for letterbox to 16:9 for more detail on that subject if that is the case.

However fortunately letterbox dvds are more rare these days and a vast majority of major releases will be 16x9 and stretch properly. You may get the occasional "original edition" of a classic film that will not be enhanced for widescreen and this might be that kind of situation.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The disc are standard off the shelf mostly 2.35:1 movies, when played on the set-to-box on a normal CRT 16:9 TV, black bars (added by the DVD player) are seen on the top and bottom to keep the aspect ratio correct.

I think I have watched some letterbox DVD in the past (dont have them now as it was quite a while ago before I got my PSP) and in those cases, as far as I can remember, you could see the difference in the black that was part of the picture to make the letterbox and the black addedby the DVD player to get it to fit the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FOund out that Handbrake can do it.

If converting a bought DVD then I take out the height setting and only leave the width and it converts it OK keeping the 1:2.35 aspect ratio.

If converting a disc recorded on my set-top-box then I have to put in both the width and height (368x208) and that makes any picture 16:9 and looks OK as well.
    Quote Quote