VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is there some easy way to gather up all the parts of a project to transfer it as in Subject? I'd like to put it on my faster laptop so that I can render and burn (author) it faster. To me it looks like a veg file, an avi file, and a few clips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We would need more information. What program are you using? Are the files in sepearte folders?

At the very least programs usually let you export a project file and then you can load that into your other computer.

As far as the material themselves you would have to hunt for them. I'm assuming you probably have the multimedia seperated by file types - ie video in one folder, audio in another and a seperate for pictures. Then you would need to copy each relevant file to the new machine.

I would recommend a portable harddrive for this. It would make it easier and probably be a faster transfer. Dvds would work of course but you'd be limited to 4gb or 8gb (dual layer a little pricier of course).

Double check the progams folder directory. Sometimes they make copies of the files in use and put them in a seperate folder - or at least "rendered" in that folder. You may be able to just copy one folder. Each program is different.

Edit - of course you could always use a usb transfer cable or a lan cable to transfer the files. Though networking is not as easy as using a portable harddrive. At least if the network hasn't already been established before. If you routinely copy files back and forth between the computers over a network then go ahead with that. Just remember the larger the files the longer time it will take - hence the suggestion of using a portable harddrive.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems he is talking about Vegas. You didn't state project or source formats. To move a DV project you minimally need the following.

*.veg project file
    *.avi (DV-AVI source files)

At that level, everything needs re-render. As you dig deeper you will learn pre-rendered temporary files can also be moved if you put them in identical folder specs.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Vegas 6.0. The reason I want to go to the laptop is to render. It's much faster than the desktop. Add jpg files to your list above. Maybe 3 of them. I think it should be pretty easy. Move those files to the laptop and then fire up Vegas. It'll probably balk because it can't find some files, so I just need to tell it where they are. After that I go to render, and then to Architect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solarblast
    Yes, Vegas 6.0. The reason I want to go to the laptop is to render. It's much faster than the desktop. Add jpg files to your list above. Maybe 3 of them. I think it should be pretty easy. Move those files to the laptop and then fire up Vegas. It'll probably balk because it can't find some files, so I just need to tell it where they are. After that I go to render, and then to Architect.
    Yes it will ask where the files are.

Most laptops are much slower than similar spec desktops.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My desktop is five years old, and the laptop two. I'll eventually find out if it's worth the effort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, it has twice the memory.
    Quote Quote