VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

My Windows XP computer has crashed- I'm no techie and have lost 'bookmarks' that the now-suddenly and mysteriously outdated version of Firefox had lost. Many useful programs have also crashed and trying to load antivirus etc won't connect to server. System restore won't work past the 'restore' button (does nothing).

I have tiscali 7Mbps with 80gb, use Firefox, and somehow I managed to get the speedtouch to connect, that's about it. Registry clean merely states that 'files not found' (Nero/DVDShrink and Spybot etc programs have been wiped out?) Can I do anything to save this computer and get files and programs working again?

What steps should I take now? Shall I be better off limping along with this and buying a new one?

Thanks in frustration.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the computer booting up? Sounds like it is... There is so many things it could be....but without more info or testing it myself. A wild guess would be a virus or a failing harddrive. Download SUPERAntiSpyware (free version) and run...it has detected and removed more things for me than all paid versions of the big guys.
    If you are only getting "bluescreens" when trying to boot XP then reinstall XP over curent copy, sometimes the operationg files get corrupted and this will replace them (if you dont let it format then all the programs that were there will still be there when your done)

Like I said this is a few wild guesses based on past experience.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend backing up the documents and other files that you want to save and starting over. Whatever is wrong probably won't be easy for you to fix. Be sure to scan your backup disks for viruses before copying back onto your boot drive. You may want to install a new HDD as your boot drive, and keep the old one as the backup for your files while you copy them to the new drive.

That's what I did under similar circumstances this past spring, although I had the dreaded blue screen of death because an essential Windows XP OS file was apparently corrupted. Re-installing windows XP over the previous installation did not repair the problem. My boot drive was also 7 years old. I ordered a new, larger HDD to use as a new boot drive. I could still copy my files from my old problem drive, which I had re-installed as a slave, and had scanned for viruses. I had to re-install all the programs I use, but I have peace of mind about the new drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This will (almost) always work...

1. get a friend with broadband to go to http://distrowatch.com/
    2. download the LIVE CD ISO file for Mandriva (or Ubuntu, etc)
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05127
    3. have them burn & check the CD image for you.
    4. depending on the quantity of files, get a USB harddrive or flash drive ready
    5. Insert the LIVE CD in your sick machine and reboot the computer
    6. The LIVE CD will load the Linux OS into RAM without needing your hard drive;
    BUT- when the desktop comes up, will be able to see, and copy off, the contents of your Windows hard drive. Click on the desktop hard drive icon(s) to view your files.
    7. Install the USB drive and copy off your irreplacable personal files at least- (don't forget email like Sent files.)
    8. You can also try to fix your XP installation with other Linux Live CDs like Gparted, System Rescue, Clonezilla, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello aelfheah;

That sounds like something that happened to me earlier this year.
    Check your day/date settings for your clock. Somehow, the clock in my computer had been advanced by almost six months. It could have been caused by a virus, I don't know, but once I found the error and reset the clock to the proper date, I experienced no more problems.

Good luck !
    Quote Quote  
  6. First, it is amazing how little useful information is contained in the original post.

Checking the computer specs to find an Athlon 1800 provides probably the most useful clue.

Various programs apparently no longer work or have possibly different version numbers. Specific programs mentioned include System Restore and Spybot. XP, however, is apparently still functional as it still boots. Some other programs may or may not work normally.

Possible virus activity, possible old PC starting to fail. Hardware not worth replacing, user skill level indicates software repair not viable.

Copy important files. If you have a system restore disk, run it. If it doesn't work after that, chuck the box.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With all the damage to your system, I would consider a clean full reinstall of the operating system. That means repartitioning and reformatting your boot drive.

But the symptoms seem to point to a malware attack. You can try some antimalware programs like Malware Bytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

But the problems could also relate to a failing hard drive. JMO, I would try a malware removal program, then, if that fails, a reinstall of the OS. I would also back up any important files first. When you repartition/reformat the HDD, it will check for HDD problems.

If your computer came with restore discs, then that may be the easiest method. If not, then you need a OS disc.
    Quote Quote