VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using Sony Vegas Pro 8 and I can't seem to do a simple maneuver that I've always been able to do in just about any other editing program, drag and drop another clip between 2 other clips.

I attached a visual of my problem, as it's probably easier to see than read about:

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vegaspro8problemgj7.gif

(Sorry for my John Madden drawing skills...)

One slightly different problem now with Vegas Pro 8, without a visual... After I copy a perfectly lined up chunk of media (video clip, and music clip), the music clip may not paste with it. This can be a pain when you're copying over and pasting alot of stuff.

Any thoughts? Any techniques or keyboard shortcuts? Or is this just how Vegas is?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One way to insert the extra clip is to...insert time of the length of the clip which will move all the other clips along the time line...

Go to time line join and make a slight gap...click on video track...then go to insert top left of page and from drop down menu click time and put in the amount of time of the clip...or keep inserting small amounts of time to keep moving the rest of the clips along to allow the clip to be put in the time line.

There maybe another way ...but I have acheived your same problem this way....

Hope it is of help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you have a video with a separate audio track you have to copy both pieces, audio and video where you want them to be. If you're working with an imported track that has audio attached to it (like a type 2 captured DV clip) they will stay together when you move the video.

What's happening in your picture is that when you drop the clip in that gap it is simply going on top of the clips that are already there. It does not move the clips that are already there. You have to move the clips out of the way before you put that new clip there, then move them back in the order you want. Vegas does not move anything automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate the help! Thank you.

Do you happen to know if there are any simple tricks to closing time gaps on the timeline instead of just moving everything all the way over?
    Quote Quote  
  5. NOt really. Vegas allows you to put the clips wherever you pease on any track but you have to move it there yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK.

Seems like a big drawback, at least for me, having been used to Studio 11's very user friendly timeline. Before I began on an hour long project timeline, I wanted to see these problems before I ran into them and I think I have, so thank you.

One last thought:

So if I have over 500 clips on the timeline and say, video clip #23 is no good, and I delete and now have a 2 minute gap, I have to spent 20 minutes moving over 400 individual video and sound clips that was following clip #23 over in place of that gap, hoping to perfectly re-sync everything together again. Or is there a way to select and move large amounts of clips over and around without screwing up a perfect sequence? (Kind of goes back to the copy and paste question, but not exactly.)

Just want to identify these kind of headaches before they happen and what can be done before I even start, because I know I'll run into lots of scenarios like this with the new project I need to do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you download the Vegas manual on line from their web site and hopefully you will find your answers that you require and have the imformation at hand to refer to......
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was reading the manual, but the stuff I was wondering was kind of abstract but still too simple to find. I figured anyone who used Vegas for some period of time would know what it can do and can't.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Select the clips you want to move then press G. That will make them a Group. Move as needed.

If you just want to slide clips on the same timeline over, right click on the first clip you want to move and click Select Events To End.

Silvas
    Quote Quote  
  10. Enable ripple edits
    drink up....the world's about to end
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The help has been great! Got me over a few speed bumps.

Now I ran into a new problem. When I apply a video effect, only half the filter is applied on the right side of the video only. I attached a picture of the problem.

I'm assuming its in preview mode or something like that and not fully applied.

Thoughts?

Quote Quote  
  12. It's just your preview window. You have the right half selected to show the effect. This just allows you to see how the effect looks compared to the original. If you render it will apply the effect to the whole thing. Here's where you check this.

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The third button from the left on the top row of editing icons is the "Auto Ripple" function. This does what you are looking for.

I suggest you do a couple of things. The first is to spend some time studying the Vegas manual as well as the "Help" tool in the program itself. If you want some more qualified help, go to Vegas specific forums. Here is the link to Sony's forum http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/default.asp

There are other Vegas forums as well that you can find by doing a Google search for "Sony Vegas Forum".

The help you can get on Vegas specific forums will be a lot more useful. Some of the help you will get here will be too superficial and "hacky" and it can either not help or even misinform you like some of the unqualified misinformation you received in this thread.
    Quote Quote