VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Philips DVDR 3455H/37 had a drive go out. It was stuck on BLOCKED so long it would not move on or reboot.
    The drive comes from asatech.cc and can be seen on the screen.
    I bought another machine because asatech.cc never answered my letters/faxs about retail parts in USA or HK.
    I finally put a PC burner on the Philips 40 pin ata and molex connects and after opening the drawer w/ the external button, my original Philips DVDR 3455H/37 began to work again. (no burn, as the borrowed PC drive was a burn-out on dvd burn cycle, though the CD burn laser still worked and read functions all still worked. )

I got a Polaroid parts machine, and found a TSST (Toshiba/Samsung Storage) DVD+-R/RW drive model TS-P623 will work in the Philips DVDR 3455H/37 .

Polaroid has a more robust drive, needing more internal case space, but it seems less prone to fail.
    Philips used the asatech.cc drive that is so slim that it is not robust.

I found a fix for the drive being faulty . . .maybe applicable to other Philips DVD Recorders.
    I made a tool from a #10 stranded copper open-eyelet crimp-on wire end, bent to 90 degrees. A screw through it into a bic pen handle makes a small tool to reach the FACTORY SLOT UNDER THE BALKY DRIVE. A small white plastic slider moves, visible in that slot as the drive door opens, and is accessible in that slot.
    When the drive jams (BLOCKED) use the tool quickly and refill the drive (NEVER EMPTY, NEVER LEAVE IT ON BLOCKED MODE LONG) fast.
    Any PC stype DVD burner will plug in the 40 pin and molex power, but won't always perform, but will maybe get a machine going again that gets stuck in BLOCKED mode.

Switching HHDs from identical machines is touch and go- mostly no go.
    Be happy with the factory 160GB HHD.

Help me find where retailers sell the TSST drives since I gave up on asatech.cc selling parts.
    There may be a TSST drive that is less long than the TS-P623B/CTAN ver 2 that I found. A shorter drive may fit in the original Philips DVDR case .

I read the balky drive is a recurring problem.
    What drive does the Magnavox H2160MW9 have???

rhedges9@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I confused some by not being clear enough about which drive I referred to.

Every HHD is equal in space requirement, mounting, and ATA (that is PATA now that we have so many SATA) 40 pin and molex.

Burners vary greatly. A BURNER FROM The Magnavox H2160MW9 WAS THE QUESTION. !!!
    Will that burner maybe fit in the Philips line??
    Will it be ASATECH.cc ?? I suspect it is.
    Who is a vendor foe TSST????

OH YEAH . . .ALWAYS LEAVE THE MACHINES ON "STANDBY" rather than ON. The drive spins constantly while on, instead of resting and waiting until the software calls for it to spin up like the PC burners we are used to using. That is why a PC burner can work . . .but is inconsistent, because it needs to be booted to . . .(in my experience . . .subject to discussion with others haveing differing experiences.)

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well more info.
    The firmware/software update Philips offers the 3455H will change the behavior of the DVD-Rom drive. I now have trouble changing blanks manually because the latest firmware makes the drive open and shut quickly. You will have to assess your situation individually.

I was unable to substitute a PATA FAT32 formatted drive into the 3455H . I believe that a different format (UNIX-LINUX) that registers in SwissKnife v.3 (primary - blue, unallocated - red, FAT32 lit up) may allow the software upgrade CD to finish installing.

Part of the firmware/software "improvements" are designed to undo the "blocked" mode drive-destruction. They however interfere with the manual assist that I adopted (moving the white plastic slider under the drive to open/close the DVD-Rom)
    that has worked for over a year to keep my 3455H working.

OH yeah . . the TSST that has a 40 pin PATA and regular MOLEX is a 632.

rhedges9@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Folks,

Following how to solved the BLOCKED problem at DVDR 3455H philips. I've posted some pictures about it.
    Have fun.

lmonfa
    Image Attached Thumbnails DVDR3455H-english.pdf  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lmonfa View Post
    Hi Folks,

Following how to solved the BLOCKED problem at DVDR 3455H philips. I've posted some pictures about it.
    Have fun.

lmonfa
    Dear friend,
    thank you for your detailed description of the procedure. Could you just tell where to get this belt online what what size it is?
    Thank you for your answer.
    Warm regards,R
    Quote Quote  
  7. The belt change worked for me! I just took a belt off an old PC drive I had! Althought slightly smaller than the one I took off the DVD recorder,"the one on the Phillips may have streched"! It equaled more belt tension! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. okay my Panasonic hard drive recorder HDD and DVD DMR-EH55 is having issues. I was burning off some dvds from the hard drive then put in a disk and said had to format. Well it said couldn't do it and then I tried another disk same message. Now it shows that a dvd is in there and there is not one in there. I also tried to play a store bought moive and will not play.
    Lost my programs guide that I had set and been a few days and still will not show me the guide.

I saw here that some can send their Philllips to to be fixed but I live in Canada and not sure can sent to the US

Can anyone help me on this?
    Last edited by KatlandKat; 7th Apr 2013 at 17:34. Reason: sorry not sure if right are for posting as I have a Panasonic
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    katlandkat,

naw, philips won't fix philips, so for sure they won't fix a panny. [ I have 2 old panny and love them, using a digital tuner thru the line port to record. ]
    so go search for an active panny [ panasonic ] thread and start there.
    and just read as many threads as time permits, to gather the needed info for your needs.

I forgot about the formatting to fat32 prior to installing
    I got a heads up on the jumpers
    and then realized the western digital or seagate site etc will provide clues to positions of the dead or current hdd and then use that info on the replacements website if a different brand etc and then make adjustments to the jumper as needed.

best wishes kat
    Quote Quote