VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'd like to know, what would be a better way to encode an audio for a video, AC-3, Mpeg layer 2 or Linear PCM?
    I have videos with this 3 of those, and i thought to encode them all to one of them, so they would work in the same way.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is this for DVD? Assuming it is, if you have the room, Linear PCM is the best. AC-3 is the second most compatible format. Also assuming you are in NTSC land then technically, MP2 is not supported as primary audio for DVD, although most players will play it anyway.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PCM is probably the best but requires alot of space. If you are using dvd5 that can really degrade video quality. AC3 is what is used most often and is IMO the best as far as quality versus size. While MP2 will play in most dvd players it is not technically in the dvd specs(at least in NTSC realm. I think it is in the specs for PAL). PCM and AC3 are.

Best comprimise between size and quality is AC3 at a decent bitrate.

edit- gadget guy beat me to it.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks. yes, I'll be using the dvd 5 . so i better not use, the PCM. than i'll use AC3. thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Remyisme
    thanks. yes, I'll be using the dvd 5 . so i better not use, the PCM. than i'll use AC3. thank you.
    Use Aften to make AC3, there are GUIs available at the link.
    Quote Quote