VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a few old VCD discs containing files I'd like to convert to Divx/Xvid to play on my Popcorn Hour media streamer. The video on VCDs is contained in "DAT" files. My Nero Recode will convert them just fine, but it won't combine multiple DAT files to a single AVI file -- at least so far as I can see. Divx 6 Pro won't use the DAT files as input. DVDCloneMobile won't use them as a source. There are two VCD-to-Divx guides on VideoHelp.com, but they're several years old and rely on tools I don't have. Although I could download them, I'd prefer not to bloat up my pc with more tools than I need.

What's the best way to convert and combine VCD DAT files to a single Divx/Xvid file?

My tools:
    - Nero Recode 3
    - Divx Pro 6
    - CloneDVDMobile
    - CloneDVD
    - Auto Gordian Knot
    - VirtualDub Mod
    - MPEG Wizard
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have problems importing dat files you can convert them to standard mpg files using vcdgear. The video wont be reconverted.

edit: forget virtualdubmod. it can't join mpeg1.

Tried joined the dat files to one mpg with mpeg video wizard?

Or else use avidemux!, load dat, append dat, video->xvid, audio->mp3, convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    It worked GREAT with Mpeg Video Wizard. Exactly what I wanted and blazin fast.

Thanks, Baldrick, for the Umpteenth answer you've given me. What a wonderful site, thanks to guys like you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry but from where can one actually download the MPEG Video Wizard?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
    Sorry but from where can one actually download the MPEG Video Wizard?
    By clicking on the red link in your post you'll be taken to a page where you can download it. Or here:

===> MPEG Video Wizard <===

It costs money but I believe the trial gives you full functionality.
    Quote Quote