VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK I have 2 wrestling DVD videos that a friend made for me (they are old VHS stuff from Japanese wrestling copied to DVD-r. He even made motion menu's and such for them)

But every time I try running the DVD's through DVD Decrypter or DVDShrink... It makes a proper ISO that has all the menu's, and plays fine in VLC media player.

But when I try to burn it using TMPGE, DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, or Nero IT CRASHES during the burn and I make a coaster.

Hell it even fails on the test burns. Get's about to burning at teh 50% mark and BOOM . Burn failed and ejects the disc.

What the heck is going wrong!?

Any more information will be provided upon request.
    It's not the fall that hurts it's the sudden stop
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try ImgBurn to first read the dvd to ISO. Then Also burn with Imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you burning to a single or dual layer disc ?

What brand of disc are you using ?

Can you burn other discs, or do they all crash ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a media problem -- use better discs. If the disc is known to be a good one, then the drive or computer may be at fault. You burn often?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Namrepus221,

The surest way to see what went wrong is for you to post a burn log from a failed burn. The log from a failed test burn should be all that's required, and it will save you from making another coaster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just burned 2 dvd's a few days ago so I don't know if it's te media or the burner.

As I said, Even the TEST modes in Nero and DVD Decrypter fail when attempting to "burn" the dvd.

I downloaded ImgBurn and am ripping/testburning a dvd now and I'll have a log file up for you guys in a couple of minutes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alright.

Made yet ANOTHER coaster.

Here's the full log from Rip, Test, AND burn (it fails on the burn and passes on the test)

imgburn.log
    Quote Quote  
  8. This sound strange for me:

Code:
    W 09:13:37 Waiting for buffers to recover... (LBA: 1306464)
    W 09:13:40 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
    First, check if DMA is enable for your hdd (only for IDE hard disk).

If enabled, I think it's time to do a deep scan with scandisk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my HDD is listed as being "Ultra DMA 6 Ultra 133" (It's a Maxtor. so sue me)

I don't know what could be causing the drop in the HDD performance. I'm gonna go ahead and start cleaning out some junk files I have and backing up to my external HDD some files I really don't use much.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Also, check if your burner is in DMA mode (only for an IDE)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The error log suggest your hd not keeping up with burner speed. This may suggest hdd near full, very fragmented, or doing other tasks. I would suggest cleaning drive as you are doing, also defragment hdd, burn at lower speed and make sure no other programs running simultaneously. Best of luck
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Namrepus221,

The log says the media for both disks you burned was ProdiscF02, and you requested the burns to be at "Max" burn speed, which works out to 16x for that media in that drive. For the first disk, the excrement appears to have entered the fan at about 12.1x, and for the second disk at about 12.2x.

You could try slowing the burning down to 12x (or even 8x), which might work since your current firmware does have a strategy for those speeds, with that media. If that doesn't work, the problem may be connected to the second burn failing because of "Logical Block Address out of Range" errors. That would indicate the drive and media aren't working well together. Updating your burner's firmware might help, if you know who made it. It's just identifying itself as "DVDRW IDE 16X", so I can't tell you where to find newer firmware for it.

You could also try different media...maybe a Verbatim or two for a test.

It may or may not help in your case, but defragging the hard drive is always good advice, as is not doing anything else on the computer during burning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I just cleaned out a good deal of crap off my HDD (went from about 7 GB to 40 gb)

And yes Both burners I have (a CD-R and a DVD-R) are on DMA.

I honest to god have no idea who made my drive, I've been trying to find out for a long time and have no other clue as to what it could be without acctually taking the PC apart and trying to find it. And btw I think you ment "increments" (bits and pieces) not "excrements" (crap)

the media I'm working with is a Maxell x16 DVD-R. THe source DVD is a Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Namrepus221,
    ...btw I think you ment "increments" (bits and pieces) not "excrements" (crap)
    No...I actually did mean excrements, as in "The @#$% hit the fan", which the Urban Dictionary (see here) accurately defines as:
    1) When things get chaotic or uncontrollable,
    2) When the critical moment occurs, usually involves the culmination of some sort of crisis,
    3) the point at which an already unstable situation devolves into utter chaos

I just substituted "excrement" to maintain a "G" rating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. half read the post and missed the "hits the fan" part of the sentence.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try burn at 4x or 8x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are trying to burn too fast a speed, and the data just cannot be passed onto the burner as fast as it wants it hence the buffes waiting to refill

This shouldn't cause things to crash though but does slow things down drastically when burning a DVD as the buffers are constantly sitting around waiting to be filled again

As suggested, try burning at a maximum of x8, you are only saving about 2-4 minutes anyway. Surely you can wait that much longer for a better burn quality and less chance of a coaster

If possible try to have your DVD burner on its own cable with nothing else attached, also try changing the rubbish generic standard IDE cable to a better quality high speed ATA 133 cable, I changed all my standard supplied with the motherboard IDE cables to high speed ATA 133 round cables a long time ago and it increased my DMA rates simply by changing the cables. I did nothing else except change the cables, like using generic audio cables. It works, but changing to better audio cables means better quality audio as there should be less interference due to better shielding

Also, do check that your IDE isn't running in DMA mode. It doesn't matter what make your hard drive is, Windooze has a very nasty habit of automagically dropping the IDE rate lower each time it encounters a problem reading or writing to your hard drives until your drive transfer rate is so slow you would be better off not bothering. This doesn't mean a hardware problem, just something the OS thinks is a problem so tries to be helpful but eventually makes it worse

Its a well documented 'issue' and the best way it to go into the device manager and remove the IDE driver from the device manager, reboot windows and let it reinstall the IDE drivers automatically. This should fix it but not always on the first try

There is a registry setting that you can change that basically forces windows to never try and drop the IDE transfer speed, but I can't remember what it is or how I found it

Just did a quick search, if you are in PIO mode, this link should explain whats going on and the possible reasons why and more importantly how to reset it again and help to avoid the problem in future

http://winhlp.com/node/10
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi. Easy question. Fast. Only to be sure.
    Is it ok to copy the video_ts folder from a DVDR (No encryption, protection whatsoever) through windows explorer?
    I mean, just "drag n' drop" the folder?
    The reason I'm asking this is because I need a friend to send me the contents of a DVDR. But he doesn't know (nor wants to learn) anything about any decrypter or whatever... So I thought the easiest way was to have him drag and drop.
    Is that ok? I mean, after all, the files are not protected anymore right? So in theory it shouldn't be a problem.
    Or should I teach him how to rip even if he doesn't want to learn?
    Could somebody help me with this? (And no "in theory" answers please. Could someone who actually KNOWS about this situation help? Its very important for me to get that DVD up and running ASAP)
    Thanks in advance to all of you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, it would have been better if you started a new thread instead of posting your question here. See the forum rules, under "General Rules". Hijacking an existing topic is not only impolite, it's not an efficient way to get answers.

I drag-and-drop the VIDEO_TS folder from DVDs made by my DVD recorder, as well as ones I have authored myself, without problems.
    Quote Quote