VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, there. I'm trying to create back-ups of my DVDs, but I've never done this before. I used DVD Decrypter and chose IFO under Mode. None of the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder have any audio. Is that normal? The video looks great, though. I don't know if it's DVD Decrypter since it's outdated, but I assumed that if it wasn't going to work, it wouldn't have ripped anything at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play the DVD on your computer with sound? If not you might need the AC3 codec.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And don't just play the vobs, use vlc media player or mpc or powerdvd and choose to play the video_ts folder or video_ts.ifo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I posted this to the wrong section. I only ripped the DVD to my hard drive. I used Media Player Classic to play the VOB files, but it didn't have audio. How do I make it play the whole folder? I have the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, so I don't think it's an issue with the codecs. Thank you, though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open the video_ts.ifo in MPC to play it as a standard dvd as I said above. Or try play with VLC Media Player, it has builtin codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ezen - Your results are not normal, but IFO mode is a bad choice for a newbie. Unless there is a specific reason you chose that mode (I can think of some, but I'd rather here your explanation as to why), it could be problematic. It is possible in IFO mode to rip the video only. That would not be what happens by default, but you could do it if you messed around with the settings. It's also possible that your audio might be DTS and you will need special drivers for that. VLC contains its own drivers for DTS audio playback, so if you get silence with VLC, I'd guess that you only ripped the video.

K-Lite is bad and installing it can cause weird problems like yours, so you should not assume that everything is great just because you installed it.
    Codec conflicts, which K-Lite is infamous for, can prevent files from playing back correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. MPC has a built in AC3 decoder but it may not be configured correctly for your system. Start MPC and select View -> Option -> Internal Filters. Make sure that AC3 is enabled in the right hand pane. Double click on AC3 to bring up its internal settings. Make sure it's set up correctly. For example, if you are using the SPDIF output for audio make sure the SPDIF option is enabled, if you are using stereo speakers make sure it is set to decode to stereo, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo - You nailed it on the head!

Baldrick - Thanks for posting that again. I must have overlooked it the first time.

jman98 - I chose to do it in IFO mode because I was trying to follow some on-line guides.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
    Quote Quote