VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I am new to using a Mac, and recently purchased an iMac to do some video editing. I went to an Apple store and told them what I needed to do and they recommended the iMac I am using and using Popcorn 3 to "rip" the video I need into iMovie.

I am a college football official and I want to be able to take game film that I receive on a DVD from the game I work and edit out specific plays for my crew and I to look at. The ultimate goal would be to make a new DVD with specific plays from the game that would be distributed to each member of my crew (out of 140 plays in a game, there may be anywhere from 15-25 specific plays to look at and review)

I am new to this (Yes I'm a newbie...I admit it) and have absolutely no clue how to import the game film I receive on a DVD into iMovie. Nothing I try seems to work.

Is Popcorn 3 the correct application to use, or is there something else that I should be using?

If Popcorn 3 will work, how do I get the game film into iMovie?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance for your time and help.

Kind Regards,

JCS
    Quote Quote  
  2. use MpegStreamClip (freeware for personal use) and the Apple MPEG2 component (20$)

if your DVD are protected aginst copy, maybe you use Popcorn
    if not, directly give the .vob to MPSC, keep the intersting parts (and trim the others)

export to DV (for iMovie)
    OR
    convert to mpeg (no reencoding) and just author the resulting mpeg on DVD-Video

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Herve is right, for a more detailed step by step
    of how to do this, see my post in the recent similar topic
    here.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also suggest using MPEG Streamclip or Cinematize 2 for selecting segments of a DVD for exporting to use in iMovie.

Popcorn 3 doesn't have the control of in and out points for export and also has a problem in that its MPEG 4 exports can't be read in the new iMovie 08 unless you first use QuickTime Pro to remove a "text track".

You may find yourself waiting a long time for the video conversion to be completed. You could get a video capture device or DV camcorder that has the passthrough feature to simply play video from the DVD through the capture device into iMovie in real time. That's what I'd do in your situation.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Herve, terry j, and Frobozz,

Thanks for your replies to my cry for help. I'm really "green" when it comes to this stuff. They (the people at the Apple Store) made it sound like it was going to be really easy to do what I want to do, but I am finding that is not the case.

I have found on this site where I can download MPEG Streamclip. How do I obtain the Apple MPEG2 component that Herve mentioned?

Frobozz, you mentioned using a video capture device or a DV camcorder to play the game DVD into iMovie in real time. Is that available from a local electronics store, or is there a specific place where I would need to get one? In addition, how would I set it up?

Thank you all for your patience and response. The help and information you three have provided is greatly appreciated.

I hope you all have a great day! Thanks again for the help.

JCS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jnscifres
    How do I obtain the Apple MPEG2 component ?
    Apple site : Store : Mac Software : QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS X

depending on cookies and others, I don't know if this direct link will work for you
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=Nzg0OTk1

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jnscifres
    Herve, terry j, and Frobozz,
    Frobozz, you mentioned using a video capture device or a DV camcorder to play the game DVD into iMovie in real time. Is that available from a local electronics store, or is there a specific place where I would need to get one? In addition, how would I set it up?
    JCS
    Canopus and Miglia make what are called analog-to-digital video converters that connect to your Mac via Firewire. The Canopus ADVC 55 is a great choice but not cheap.

What many people use instead is the so-called digital passthrough available on most (but not all) DV camcorders. My Canon ZR65 does this so it doesn't need to be a higher-end camcorder. Simply connect the audio and video cables between the camcorder's analog inputs to and the DVD player's outputs, and a Firewire cable from the camcorder to the Mac and play the movie on the DVD straight into iMovie. You should be able to find a used camcorder to do this or borrow one from someone as a test.

Pioneer also made some DVD recorders that could play DVDs while outputting DV video via Firewire to a Mac. Those models were the DVR-310, 320, 510H and 520H and may be available used.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Herve and Froboz (and terryj),

Thanks for the extra help and patience. You are "good people."

I am going to try your suggestions this weekend after my game on Saturday and see what I can come up with.

I'll let you know how it goes and get back to you with any other questions.

Thanks again for your willingness to help, lend your expertise, and most importantly....teach!

I hope to be able to reciprocate the assistance someday.

Have a great day!

JCS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz
    What many people use instead is the so-called digital passthrough available on most (but not all) DV camcorders. My Canon ZR65 does this so it doesn't need to be a higher-end camcorder. Simply connect the audio and video cables between the camcorder's analog inputs to and the DVD player's outputs, and a Firewire cable from the camcorder to the Mac and play the movie on the DVD straight into iMovie. You should be able to find a used camcorder to do this or borrow one from someone as a test.
    Using a DV camcorder is a GREAT (and cheap) analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog solution for sending the signal both directions.
    I use said setup to first send the signal from the VCR (or DVD Recorder) through the camcorder to iMovie, do my editing then send the signal the other direction back through the camcorder again to record on the DVD Recorder.
    You can find Canon ZR40/45/50 or ZR60/65/70 MiniDV camcorders on ebay cheap all the time. Some may have issues recording/playing tapes so they'd be technically broken (and therefore even cheaper) but if the unit powers up you can still use it's digital converter capabilities.
    The models I mentioned above also have S-video jacks which many newer models lack. Many newer camcorders have no digital pass-through either unless you buy the expensive model so one of these older devices may not be just the cheapest way but the only way if you're on any kind of budget.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked!! Thanks to all of you for the help. I was able to use MPEG Streamclip and the Apple MPEG 2 component to import the game video into iMovie. It is easy to use and works well! Thanks again for all of your help. I'm currently editing the game video and learning how to use iMovie.

Have a great day!

JCS
    Quote Quote