VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I have these mp3s that for the shake of the argument lets say it only one perfectly good looking mp3 with filled tags and also normalized with mp3gain at 92dB.
    I decided one day (for whatever reason) to cutdown on it's bitrate, from 192 into 128.
    I input the new brt into cdex, point the mp3(s) and fire it up (lucky me i didn't turn "delete original" on :/ ).
    The output file(s) had it's tags all fu-- up, looking like this.

I've used the cdex for allot of conversions/compressions/rips. Never had this kind of problem again.
    Come on you guys, what am i missing here? It's gotta be something completelly and utterly idiotically simple... I just can't think it now.

Some more info about the mp3 taken from gspot.
    MPEG Elementary Audio << { 1 aud }
    MPEG-1 Layer 3 CBR
    44100Hz 192 kb/s tot , Stereo
    1 steams Codec(s) Installed

I used the cdex v1.51 and mp3gain v1.2.5, i know they are not the newest versions, but they are not betas also.
    Also it's tags is in latin characters, it's not kanji or greek or whatever.
    -Good Things Come to Those Who Wait-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jo The Veteran
    I used the cdex v1.51 and mp3gain v1.2.5, i know they are not the newest versions, but they are not betas also.
    Also it's tags is in latin characters, it's not kanji or greek or whatever.
    Could be Unicode?
    Also MP3Gain will rewrite tags, and insert its own ones.

What happens if you just use MP3Gain?

Note that you can find the text of MP3 tags at either the beginning or the end of the file (with a hex editor). That should tell you what is really there (Unicode, eg).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've already used mp3gain in all the mp3s i have, the tags appear fine. I then used cdex over some of those mp3s and the tags are messed. The funny thing is that even when I rewrote the tags, erased them completelly, or even reencoded one of the files with nero wave editor (a program that obliterates all tags) and filled them again manually and then used cdex, even then nothing changed. The tags still appear like blocks for only those specific files.
    Could this be the byproduct of a viral infection?
    I'll also look the the start of the files with a hex editor when i get home from work. Still, if you can provide me with a hex editor pic on what it should look like if a file's tag are (or aren't) unicode it would be awesome.
    Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jo The Veteran
    Still, if you can provide me with a hex editor pic on what it should look like if a file's tag are (or aren't) unicode it would be awesome.
    Thank you again.
    If Unicode, two byte characters, you'll see normal (Latin) letters with zeros between them.

From a quick search, it appears that ID3 support for Unicode is often buggy.
    eg, see http://www.mp3machine.com/discussion/messages/11237.shtml
    If they don't have the correct flag, they aren't read correctly.

Maybe look for an MP3 tagger that can rewrite or convert your tags.
    This perhaps: http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~ujstrato/unitagger/
    (Haven't tried it, but looks like it might work.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, the starting characters in most mp3s are indeed readable, while in those that theyr tags get "squared" after reencoding them with cdex are not. Although I still don't know how this keeps happening in mp3s that I have recompressed with nero wave editor and then again with cdex. I guess the tag format doesn't change, whatever the program or the compression applied, only the actual characters in them get deleted.
    I've tried to install the unitagger program, which requires .net runtimes installed. I have those runtimes so it should work (or so I thought). Well it didn't. Still, I redownloaded the runtimes and installed them and again it asked for .net runtimes.
    I got borred and gave it up while I figured another way to save those tags that can be seen now but can't be seen after the reencoding. Using a tag program I extracted all the tags INTO the filename. I then reencoded and inputed the tags again FROM theyr filename.
    I guess I'll still have the same problem in the future if I wish to reencode any of those mp3s again (for any reason again). At least now, I have a thread to look back to for info.
    I any case, thanks for all your help and patience.
    Gotta finish that subtitle job now and I'll be free at last!
    Quote Quote