VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so aynway just joined this to see if anyone can shed some light on the situation....
    i wanna get a blu ray player but......was wondering will it play downloaded movies and if i need to have a HD TV in order to view downloaded movies that are in HD DVD format????
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A blu-ray player wont read hd-dvd(or do you mean blu-ray?). But you might be able to remux the hd-dvd to blu-ray format using tsmuxer, ripbot264 but it's lot of work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You do not need an HDTV to view BluRay movies on a BluRay player, but not having an HDTV defeats the purpose of having a BluRay player.

It's impossible to guarantee you that downloaded movies will play on a BluRay player. It depends on what format the movies are in and whether your BluRay player supports that format or not. Divx/Xvid support is growing in BluRay players, but other formats (H.264, WMV) won't be supported at all without conversion. BluRay players may not support the older VCD and SVCD formats, but you probably won't be downloading those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so......is there much of a difference in the quality of picture if i were to watch bluray on just a normal widescreen tv???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadgirl
    .....is there much of a difference in the quality of picture if i were to watch bluray on just a normal widescreen tv???
    As opposed to a regular DVD on just a normal widescreen tv. Probably no difference since the bluray is being downconverted for your regular (non-hd) tv.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote