VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The best is probably XVID4PSP yet I see it nowhere on your list.

Some list *pfft*

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to be missing something here. Did a Mod delete the OP? But this doesn't belong in latest news. Moving to Portable Video Forum.

EDIT: Yep, Antonio123, the OP, was banned for spamming. I'll modify the title and maybe someone else can get some use from the thread.

But no spammers allowed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I say delete the thread ... I mean if the original post in this was deleted then ... boy does it make my post look silly LOL

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A good reason not to reply to spam posts. I'll leave it for a day or two more and if no useful posts, I can delete it. You could always edit your post and no one may notice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I say you and I keep bantering back and forth until we tire of it

Speaking of iPods I've been thinking of getting one myself but I don't currently have one. I'm torn between the small screen but high capacity of the iPod Classic (120GB) vs the large screen but low capacity iTouch (comes in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB but the 16GB model would be the most I would spend).

The iTouch would be a definite choice IF it accepted some sort of memory stick media but alas it does not. Stupid Apple.

As an alternative I was thinking of getting a Sony PSP since it can do music and video with a large screen (larger than the iTouch) and like the two Apple products it features TV OUT and I like this idea. However as a portable music/video player it is a bit "bulky" so that still leaves me unsure of which way to go.

Then again I need a new computer so that will probably come first making all this possibly academic as I don't have enough money (nor credit) for a computer and a portable music/video device.

Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same dilemma and decided I didn't need either ipod at present. But there is a lot of other similar devices on the market. If nothing else, Apple stimulated the competition.

And I guess to stay on the original topic, I should put in a link to our ipod/portable tools, as the most popular are likely already listed. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/portable-mobile-psp-ipod
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have written a little application for PSP Conversion. It is compatible with iPod video formats as output and features DVD-ripping of Factory DVDs without decrypting.

Here is a link to it:
    http://pspslimhacks.com/forum/index.php/topic,4479.0.html

BTW, you do not need to be a member of pspslimhacks, or their forums to see the download link.

FYI, earlier, I saw FulciLives mention the dilemma of PSP vs. iPod. I was offered both and I selected PSP. It does so much more than an iPod! If you get it though, get a PSP Slim (PSP-200x) from before September 2008 or a PSP Fat (PSP-100x), because CFW (Custom Firmware) or "hacking" (as it is called) can be installed on those models. Hacking allows you to play DIVX and XVID files as well as a ton of other useful features.

If you want more information on PSP video support, shoot me an e-mail at:

kg6zvp@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I ended up getting a 2nd gen 16MB iPod Touch for Christmas. It's nice but boy does it fill up quickly!

I've used XVID4PSP to do my conversions and I'm happy with the quality on the iPod Touch screen as well as on my computer and also when watching them on my HDTV via my PS3. However I am not that crazy about the video out quality of the iPod Touch but then again I bought the composite output cable (not the S-Video nor component output cords) so I'm sure it looks better with component. The problem is all my friends still have SDTV's and one does not have S-Video inputs which is why I went with the composite output.

Oh well I guess I like it enough.

@ZedVamp
    I'll have to give your program a try

Quote Quote  
  9. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Since this thread is living off topic, I have to ask FulciLives about how he is dealing with the aspect ratio of the iPod touch since it seems to be unique to itself. Some months ago you posted shots that showed how cinematically important material was lost when an "enhanced for widescreen" DVD filmed at 1.85:1 was zoomed to 1.78:1. Personally, I don't mind pan-and-scan, but I was astonished that you were able to pick out specific scenes were the relatively light zoom made a difference. When I touch the zoom button on my first generation Touch, I am never really sure what it is supposed to look like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster
    Since this thread is living off topic, I have to ask FulciLives about how he is dealing with the aspect ratio of the iPod touch since it seems to be unique to itself. Some months ago you posted shots that showed how cinematically important material was lost when an "enhanced for widescreen" DVD filmed at 1.85:1 was zoomed to 1.78:1. Personally, I don't mind pan-and-scan, but I was astonished that you were able to pick out specific scenes were the relatively light zoom made a difference. When I touch the zoom button on my first generation Touch, I am never really sure what it is supposed to look like.
    I have no idea what ratio exactly the iPod Touch screen is but I don't think it is 16x9 exactly because I have some material that is 16x9 and it plays with a bit of black both above and below the image.

As for me ... I just don't use ZOOM *shrugs*

One thing I like and maybe all iPods do this ... I don't know as this is my first ... but you can encode MP4 files at an anamorphic ratio and it will display it correctly. Overkill for that tiny screen but important for TV output or playing it back on my PS3 since iPod Touch made videos also work on my PS3.

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The iPod touch and the PSP have a screen resolution of 480x272. 16:9 is actually 269.9***, so if you round that up, you get 270.

As for the quality on XVID4PSP, it uses x264.exe. (Which, btw, is what my program uses as well) When I wrote my program, I had never heard of XVID4PSP, so I thought I was doing something very new. The only thing I added was that each video is resized while MAINTAINING ASPECT RATIO. This took some doing and on the version I have out at the moment, it does not work on videos with DAR, SAR or PAR flags. That has been fixed and I am about to publish the next version, so.... Anyway.

Awesome
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives, how do you like my program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZedVamp
    FulciLives, how do you like my program?
    I haven't had time to try it ... just been busy and haven't encoded anything as of late.

I will give it a look see though at some point in time hopefully sooner than later.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    from what i have read in the various forums on HOFO

many ipod/itouch/iphone users are using 'handbrake' to convert video for those devices
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, Handbrake doesn't work for PSP. Unless, of course, you want to make really low resolution videos with Mpeg4 ASP at such a high bitrate that the file is bigger than an AVC one of twice the resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One tool I use a lot is TVersity. I have a 16GB 2nd gen ipod touch...and it does fill up quickly especially if you put videos on there. But as long as you can connect to the internet using your ipod, you can real-time stream any file the ipod can read natively from your computer using tversity. And it will convert practically any file it can't read natively. I try to avoid that unless the source par is 1:1...plus unless you have a real fast computer the wait time is a lot. So I try to convert a lot of video files to mp4 using xvid4psp...that way it's already a file the ipod can play already. Another con though is that it zaps your battery life faster than when playing files straight from your ipod. That's a small price to pay for me as I mostly just use the program and stream when I'm around the house. But at least I won't have to keep swapping files in and out of the ipod all the time, just because of the size restriction.
    Quote Quote