VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I downloaded a film (I own the film legally but the disc is scratched). The film is 2 hours and 30 mins. Surprisingly the file is just over 700mb. It is a Divx/XVid. I played it on my PS3 and the quality is fantastic. I have tried many times to convert another DVD of mine which is bout 2 hours to divx but im gettin 3gb+. I cannot fathom a way to have good quality and low fize size. Anyone have anyhing to help me with doing this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the one may be farmore compressible than the other.
    if you want a fair estimation,
    upload a sample of the downloaded file you find to be good quality,
    and a sample of the dvd you are trying
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What settings and software are you using?

Try use a lower resolution/frame size and low audio bitrate(128kbits mp3). Use 2-pass encoding and convert with AutoGK or Fairuse Wizard.
    Quote Quote  
  4. file size = bitrate * running time

If you want a smaller file use a lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Reducing the resolution also allows you to get away with lower bit rates. The great quality download you have may have a much lower resolution than the one you made yourself. It would also be good to know what exactly you are using to convert to Divx as maybe you are using a tool that isn't very user configurable. For example the Divx Converter program could not be simpler to use but you basically can't configure anything in it, so it's completely inappropriate for what you want to do.
    Quote Quote