VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's that yellow icon on the taskbar saying that installing updates is ready for your computer.I clicked on it and after that the software istallation update wizard box appeared and it says it will update windows Xp service pack 3.And then it is recommended to BACKUP SYSTEM and close other programs.
    It says Backup system which makes me worried cuz does that mean if I install this update,everything in my PC wil be gone???
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    SP3 is mostly a bunch of updates your system may already have if you do regular updates. It doesn't really add any new features, AFAIK. I'm not sure why it would suggest backing up your system. If you are in doubt, don't install it.

Maybe Microsoft is just being overly cautious.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just turned off updates for that reason. I don't want SP3.

If you want SP3, you must backup your complete HD before you put it on just in case
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't they so for every Service Pack update?

I have updated to SP3 on several computers with no problems whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All our computers at work have recently been through this exercise.
    No on backed up and SP 3 rolled out anyway! The risk is yours of course as I have heard of some issues
    with SP3 installing the wrong CPU drivers etc in the early versions. The twenty odd machines at work updated
    without issue..As did this machine I am working on now at home...
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's just a precautionary message. Microsoft is covering their ass in case something gets messed up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I installed SP3 on my folks pc when I upgraded their system to a Intel dual core cpu. It was quite odd that I couldn't download the other updates, it's like I was forced to update to SP3. None the less there was no problems with SP3 being installed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've been avoiding SP3 too....and it is now in my taskbar as well. I actually downloaded SP3 months ago....and now it is here on my computer again.

I need to install an AMD update prior to SP3....that is another reason why I have avoided upgrading.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SP3 installed on my boxes without any issues. All you should really need is a restore point.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by redwudz
    SP3 is mostly a bunch of updates your system may already have if you do regular updates. It doesn't really add any new features, AFAIK. I'm not sure why it would suggest backing up your system. If you are in doubt, don't install it.

Maybe Microsoft is just being overly cautious.
    There are two new features of SP3.

There is support for black-hole routers and network access protection.

It is recommended that you do a backup, because Microsoft cannot test SP3 on every computer configuration, and you do not want to take the risk of losing your data.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54
    I've been avoiding SP3 too....and it is now in my taskbar as well. I actually downloaded SP3 months ago....and now it is here on my computer again.

I need to install an AMD update prior to SP3....that is another reason why I have avoided upgrading.
    I have an AMD CPU (athlon 64 3500+), and I don't installed any AMD update and all is working fine. If you have installed you xp by yourself or using a "home made" pc, you won't have any problems.

The problems are just on crappy prebuilt HP computers where they installed Intel cpu driver when an AMD cpu was used. They are just bastards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cd090580
    Originally Posted by hech54

I have an AMD CPU (athlon 64 3500+), and I don't installed any AMD update and all is working fine. If you have installed you xp by yourself or using a "home made" pc, you won't have any problems.

The problems are just on crappy prebuilt HP computers where they installed Intel cpu driver when an AMD cpu was used. They are just bastards.
    Thank You for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had to uninstall SP3 to install drivers for my audio and video cards and had to reinstall it to get the drivers for my remote to install.
    Quote Quote