VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to save some VCRs on my hard disk and convert them to DVD. I've got a tv/video capture card installed and the necessary grabber device GrabBee x+ deluxe) with all the drivers installed and updated. I've tried 4 or 5 apps (Grabbee software, Nero, Blaze media and various freewares I've found) but none of them can actually read the signal from the capture device (I can't see anything on the preview screen when I play the tape so when I try and record it just comes out blank) The video capture card works (I have recorded some analog TV) and I've checked that the VCR output is working.
    Some suggestions would be really appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use the Analog TV source on the same input on the capture card that you are connecting the VCR to, whether composite or S-video. Then test the same output on the VCR on the TV. Once you have verified both the card input and the VCR output, then it is most likely Macrovision.

Discussion of Macrovision removal is not allowed on these boards.

Macrovision is carried on Line 21 of the video signal.

Closed captions are also carried on Line 21 of the video signal.

There are various devices designed to stabilize a video signal for recording, such as the Sima Copy Master, or SCM. Be aware that using an SCM will completely remove all Closed Captions from the video signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your quick reply. Well it turns out that I'm a newbie idiot. The scart plug of the grabber had an input-output switch, which was switched to input! Working fine now.
    Quote Quote