VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Down loaded this program today, the only issue i'm having right now is that fact that when I go to video filter & click on subtitle nothing is there. When I try to click on the + nothing pops up or loads. Is there something I need to have added, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They have removed subtitle support. You must use avidemux 2.5.6 or older, https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux/old-versions#download

Or use another software to add subtitles like xvid4psp 5, freemake video converter or video to video converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks alot man, made my day!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,

I am using Dxtory to record my FSX videos. Using fddshow/ H.264/Lame MP3. I am recording audio from speaker and mic. When i play the video on my PC everything looks and sounds great but when I upload this video to Youtube only the speaker sound is heard. I am new to this and just found out that I need to produce a file with one sound stream.

So, I downloaded Avidemux. I have been experimenting with this but have not been unable to output a video with both audio streams. I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just bought a new camera that also does HD video. After reading here I downloaded avidemux and easily clipped some bad frames from some footage. I am left with a half dozen mov. files that are a minute or 2 long that I would like to merge into one larger file. I'm new to video editing and I didn't see and option to do this or mention in this tutorial. Can it be done with avidemux or do I need some other software. If so, can you recommend a simple freeware program that will merge these video files. Thanks.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would love to love this software but it put me in the Twilight Zone. Please HELP!

I can't get the software to work as described. The options in tutorials are not present on my program. I have downloaded almost every version and I am SURE I have the latest version yet it STILL does not have the options described in tutorials. I can find little to zero information on how to use this program AND you can try for weeks and weeks to sign up to the official Avidemux forum but they NEVER send you a conformation email. And THIS post seems to have somebody talk on it only once a year! Is there ANYWHERE one can go to get information on this software? Do people actually use this software?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The options in tutorials are not present on my program.
    ?

What exactly can't you do? Edit? Set start and stop?

Yes, I use it. Mostly for some simple cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am having LOTS of issues actually, and I am curious why the official forum is unattainable?

Like I said, I don't have the same options on mine that I should. The "calculator" button does nothing when pushed. But most importantly, when I import a video, it squishes it tall and thin on the preview screen. If I save it as a "copy", the video plays just fine, but if I add any corrections to the video (forcing me to re-code it) the video is then squished like in the preview window. Now this ONLY happens with ONE type of video (the lower res video). My 352x480 video does not seem to work with this software. The 720x480 works fine.

I like this software because I am a novice and I am not doing much. I just took some old VHS and put them to DVD. So I just want to simply cut them down a little and possibly add a little color correction to them. This software seems to do that faster and better than others I have used (including Adobe Premiere), but I just don't know why it does that one thing, with that one video. For the record, NONE of the other video editors have that problem with the same file. I edited that same file in Adobe Premiere, Adobe After effects and Winx. Like I said, other than that, this software is PERFECT for my simple needs. I just can't get it to work and I can't find support for it ANYWHERE. This is the ONLY working forum I could find that mentioned this software.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux shows the storage pixel aspect ratio and not the display aspect ratio so your 352x480 will look squished. You can ignore it and just output a 352x480 with 4:3 or 16:9 display aspect ratio and it will look fine. I'm not sure if you can add aspect ratio flag when you output though. You can add it with other tools like video multiplexers.

Or just resize your output to a 4:3/16:9 frame size with 1:1 ratio like 640x480=4:3 or 640x360=16:9, etc.

I have never tried the built in (bitrate?) calculator.
    Quote Quote  
  10. First, I want to thank you for the help.

Also, I will look into your suggestions. I don't seem to recall seeing a way to change the aspect ratio, but I will look. I would never have thought that I would need to change it to what it actually is. lol But I don't really understand the technical stuff you mentioned. At least now I know it is "normal" that it does that? And possibly how to fix it. Just seemed weird that it does that and the other programs did not. I am also surprised how little resources there are out there for this program, I know it is "free" and all, but it is also popular (I thought) so I expected more forums for it.

If I end up only having to use it for "copy" slicing, that that is still cool. It seems to do that very easily.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey Baldrick... Out of curiosity, can you recommend any video editing programs that are simple to use (similar to Avidemux)? I just have some old VHS converted to DVD that I want to do a FEW cuts here and there, and then just run a simple filter to help the video a bit and reduce the hiss in the sound. I am not looking to make it look pro, I just want to press "enhance video" and "Remove hiss" and be done with it. lol
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I've only done basic editing mostly using Windows Movie Maker. I've put together some photos into a time lapse video and I need to crop it. I'm starting the process with a WMV file. I can see that it's possible to crop with Avidemux but can't figure out the interface so far. The instructions for applying filters I'm looking at are from the Avidemux wiki docs on avidemux.org and they say:

Extract [A,B]
    Decompress frame
    Postprocess if needed
    Apply all filters...
    Compress using encoder
    Writing...

I found the Crop filter and the adjustment I want to make. I have the program in output mode. I can preview the video in the filter window and it looks like I want it. However, I'm stuck at the first step. Once I leave the filter window I don't see any changes applied from the filter, and I don't see any "extract" function. Can someone give me a clue on this?

-- RB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gee. Thanks for all the help...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to use Avidemux just to trim a really long slideshow we made. I am able to trim, using A and B but when I go to watch what I trimmed in VLC, I get no sound, even when there is sound playing in Avidemux when I'm cropping the original. Please help. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks @Baldrick
    for this Tutorial

I was searching for help with upscaling a 480x192 video to 720x480 and found the Tutorial.
    I had never used Auto function; now, I can

Hope it works too.

(I know it is an old thread)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this program still being updated?

I'm finding it's now an invaluable tool in my video editing arsenal.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by GoldenMeanie View Post
    Is this program still being updated?

I'm finding it's now an invaluable tool in my video editing arsenal.

Yes it is - latest version
    2.6.10 / r160111 Beta (January 11, 2016)

I just discovered AVIdemux an really love it
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The options in tutorials are not present on my program.
    ?

What exactly can't you do? Edit? Set start and stop?

Yes, I use it. Mostly for some simple cutting.
    I thought I had bookmarked a thread mentioning and comparing relative advantages / features of several of these editors, but I can't seem to find it now. I've never delved into this particularly deeply -- have mostly tried a bunch of them in a rather basic fashion and am still doing that, still looking for 'Go To' solutions for various file formats. So far, my emphasis has mostly been towards simplicity and minimal learning curve. Although rather limited, my favorites to date that meet those criteria have been the discontinued Movica (does some .WMV formats only, I believe) and ASFbinWin. Hard to find anything as "just pick it up and start using it" as those. AVIdemux might have been the next in line, after that. But lately I'm becoming more enamored of Machete: the full one, not the Lite version. It seems to handle a lot of your basic cutting duties rather well -- including MKV -- and is about as easy to get started with as Movica was. It does have some blind spots, like not even seeing .MPG format files. (I could do those with my VideoRedo-4, but every time I fire that up and look at the timeline and all the controls, I'm feeling like I may not want to bother with this job, after all.) There are a couple other Machete features that sound interesting (Tag Editor, etc.) that I haven't tried yet.

There doesn't seem to be any "one program does it ALL -- relatively easily" for this category. Or so it appears to me . . . .

Baldrick, this post is also kind of in lieu of sending you a PM. I recently stumbled across this article:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-softwar...wnload-1136264

A lot more than nine programs mentioned, actually. A majority of them are present in the VH Tools section, but a few of them I'd not heard of.

This is moving more off-topic, but while I'm at it I thought I would mention an ISO Mounter / Editor I discovered awhile back, have been using successfully, and can recommend.

http://www.askvg.com/iso-toolkit-freeware-to-create-convert-copy-and-extract-iso-image-files/

I don't know if it is as capable as PowerISO or UltraISO, but this one is portable and free.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 25th Jan 2016 at 11:53.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Request to Baldrick : I just downloaded the latest version - 2.6.14 out of desperation. First of all there is no free application that can handle x265 AND crop function. I had originally moved away from Avidemux due to 2 reasons. Too slow and audio sync problems. Apparently this version can handle both the functions I require. From the initial observation I can see it is much faster too.

Unfortunately the interface is substantially different. It would help a lot of others if the tutorial was updated for the new interface.
    Quote Quote  
  20. AviDemux rocks with its simplicity !

While navigating, up and down arrows skip to nearest keyframe; I just realized navigating with mouse dragging position tracker also does the same
    Is there any way to not skip keyframes because I miss a lot of frames inbetween them

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  21. @Baldrick

Hi, just downloaded latest version avidemux on my (old) Vista to edit some really old videos I took on old cameras, etc.
    I was trying to work on Windows Movie Maker & Live Movie Maker and was stumped when programs (both) kept freezing up on me when loading .mov files that I was trying to merge to one file , also loss of sound on some files when working on them Movie Makers.

Then I found Avidemux today when looking online for other simple free programs
    Quite easy to use for even complete noobie like me. Although the instruction was for much older version of Avidemux, I just simply followed "copy" "copy" and output AVI
    and boom! I got all them little bits and pieces .mov video clips from old camera into one 5 min long AVI file

But alas! When I play back the completed exported AVI file, there's a bit of sound hiccup trouble where I merged the clips It basically "stutters" the first syllable or noise in the beginning of the merged clips. This does NOT happen when I was playing back the merged clips in the avidemux program itself (connected the clips using "append" from pull down). Also, the very last second or 2 of the exported AVI file, I can hear the sound but picture is BLANK (white)

Mr. Bladrick Super Moderator, would you know what may have gone wrong here?? Also since latest version of Avidemux 2.7 (32-bit) looks much different than the sample tutorial screen from (pretty much) 10 years ago, would someone be able to upload a newer screenshot and show/explain latest features???
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That has been the problem with Avidemux which otherwise was an excellent software. It was especially good at removing the black band. I have another suggestion though.

Try out Freeware "Video to Video converter" available here. It can handle absolutely any video format/codec you throw at it except x265. This is if you want to to actually do conversion. You would need to do it if the codecs are different as also the resolution. You have to select one setting and convert them all to this specific setting, one by one.

If you want to just plainly join several clips together I would go for mkvtoolnix0gui. I would first convert each one individually provided they all employ the same codecs and same resolution. Then I would join them by starting with first mkv file and appending the rest in the order you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @rojavh,

Most of the video editors I've tried (particularly the free ones) only move or cut by keyframes.
    I still have a couple pretty old versions of AVIdemux installed, because at a certain point they stopped offering portable versions, and because they dropped some basic capabilities from the program. I don't recall the details now, but at the time I left a review in the Tools section.

@ Noobie2Movie,

Sound glitches are a not-that-uncommon byproduct of making cuts with these editors. I occasionally get clicks, moderately loud pops, or static from some edits with Machete, my 'Go To' editor. However, I think this may be associated with certain videos or video file formats being edited. Haven't identified a pattern to this, but fortunately it seems to be infrequent.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You do realize that this discussion was started 9 YEARS AGO right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You do realize that this discussion was started 9 YEARS AGO right?
    If you're talking to me, sure. But I'm still using some of this older software, as are others. In that context, this remains relevant.
    Quote Quote