VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there guys ,I've just downloaded this program and found out that this is quite a good program and help me alot with most of the video file but there is one flaw that i can't keep using the any filter .What i want to do is to cut the video and try to save it but after i save it file come out the same as before is there anything to do before saving after you cut the video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The tutorial was exactly what I needed to get started. Thanks. I do have one problem, though. I was simply clipping an AVI file, with both Video and audio set to copy and Format set to AVI. There was no sound during play in AVIDEMUX though it was just fine in the resulting video. Yes, the volume was turned up and I could hear system sounds just fine.

Any idea what the problem was there? I tried an mpg file and got the same lack of sound.

-----Paul-----
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tutorial... especially the tip about manually entering the filename extension.

I had downloaded an .AVI file that was causing both WinPlayer and Nero to freeze up in the same places. I tried VirtualDub but it would not open the AVI file - some codec message. I have no working knowledge with codecs and didn't want to invest the time in learning about them just then. So I gave Avidemux a try.

Avidemux loaded up my file with no problem and let me cut out a few frames in the problem areas. I ended up with a playable file with what, to me, are a couple of insignificant jitters where the edits were made.

I had been planning to use VirtualDub's MASK feature to deal with the bad frames to ensure no loss of audio sync. Avidemux doesn't have this feature, but the sync seems to have come out fine even with the frame deletions. Still, a MASK feature would be nice to have... maybe in a future release.

A question: I chose the "Smart Copy" option when the window came up. I later learned that it merely forces a beginning Key-frame where necessary. However, there is a parameter box associated with Smart Copy where you choose an integer from 2-31. I set it at 31, but I have no idea what the parameter controls. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pwright2
    The tutorial was exactly what I needed to get started. Thanks. I do have one problem, though. I was simply clipping an AVI file, with both Video and audio set to copy and Format set to AVI. There was no sound during play in AVIDEMUX though it was just fine in the resulting video. Yes, the volume was turned up and I could hear system sounds just fine.

Any idea what the problem was there? I tried an mpg file and got the same lack of sound.

-----Paul-----
    Lord Mulder writes the following in a tutorial on another site:

"Why I don't hear sound in Avidemux?

In most cases this is simply because you didn't enable sound yet! By default Avidemux's audio output is set to "DUMMY", which means there is no audio output at all. Just go to "Edit" -> "Preferences" and switch to the "Audio" tab. Then change "Audio output" to "WIN32" or whatever suits your OS. Finally click the OK button. Now you should hear sound."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the helpful tutorial.
    I have a question concerning dual audio: I'd like to add a second audio track (background music) to a clip with a primary audio track (voices).
    I have AviDemux 2.4.4. I select Audio > Secondary track > select then Audio source > External MP3 and choose a file. When I play the output, I just hear the primary track, not the background music. I save the file using the AVI dual audio output, but the resulting file only has the primary audio track.
    What do I do wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to help out anyone who hasn't worked it out yet (couple of posts in this thread), to save a file after you have filtered it as the newly filtered version, you have to select a method of video and/or audio encoding other than 'Copy'.

Simple, but a head-scratcher if you didn't realise the original tutorial was changing that drop-down for that particular reason!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to click yes becauese it doesn't like any of my MP4 files encoded with H.264, otherwise when I click no it will crash.
    When I get the video edited (just cutting a few minutes off the start and the end of the video) and save in Copy mode, it does it but the output file is garbage and plays too fast.
    Any ideas why it would do this? I've had to re-encode the videos when I finish editing them, because that's the only way I get an output video that plays properly.
    The snag is that after re-encoding, the audio and video aren't in synch. the audio's about 2 seconds behind the video for some weird reason.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using avidemux 2.4.4. I am trying to split out a piece of video. The beginning of the scene is not a key frame. Can avidemux render that frame properly? I am doing a straight Copy of both video and audio.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how does one change a 4:3 dvd to a 16:9 without any cuts or anything else?
    Come on, you Dons
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ian4355
    It's not possible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey how come i get this message "cannot identify subtitle format" when i try to add a .sub file?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ian4355 wrote:

Baldrick: It's not possible.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear; I have a WS program on my Foxsat box which when archived to DVD doesn't "hold" its aspect ratio. When my Dad plays it on his player, everyone looks tall and skinny! Is there a setting that will let me cure this problem?
    Come on, you Dons
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ian4355
    Is there a setting that will let me cure this problem?
    A setting where? Oh, AVIdemux? Sorry, don't use it. You can change the DAR of the finished DVD in something like PGCEdit and then reburn it. Open the DVD, right-click the movie and hit Domain Stream Attributes. If in the new screen it says 4:3, change it to 16:9 and Automatic Letterbox. OK back to the main screen, save and test.

Quote Quote  
  14. nvm - I love you search engine!!!

how do I fix the audio sync problem in AVIdemux?

I'm taking a MPEG-PS file that I need to cut out parts
    and re-size without re-encoding

I selected video COPY audio COPY and

Output MPEG-PS

i used only a cropping filter but the audio is out of sync

what do I do?

after I crop and cut the parts that I want do I demux the file and remux it with a syncing program?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Although computer literate, I'm new to video editing, have started to use Avidemux to synchronise audio, after capturing vhs tapes to hdd in avi format using Arcsoft Showbiz2 together with Leadtek VC100U video editor. Having managed to synchronise ok, am finding it confusing to Save the edited video. Have tried to do so in video/audio COPY mode, but only part of the total footage is saved properly, however 17 additional files were created with the same file name/ext(ie .avi01 - avi17) but with the usual icon indication that Windows doesn't recognise it(see attached gif image). I then tried saving the edited file in dvd(lavc) & dvd(mpeg2enc) but that didn't work either.
    I would be grateful for some basic info, since I'm only likely to want to capture vhs to hdd in avi, edit audio sync/further edit in Showbiz2 & burn to dvd.
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks

Quote Quote  
  16. Hi,

I am trying to trim 20 MB from a anime MKV file in order fit into a DVDR. I used avidemux to cut this file and I got a almost good product. The audio and video are perfectly in sync but the subtitle is gone. Did I missed anything?

Thanks for any pointer.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    alexkchoi: Try cut the mkv using mkvtoolnix instead. Open the mkv and under the Global set the splitting.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Baldrick,

Thanks a lot for the pointer. This is a lot cleaner. I did try to use MKVextractGUI and avidemux to cut and then MKVmerge again. That works but very messy.

This is a lot easier.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How does one save the settings for future projects?

(Type, Filters, etc as a 'package' to be able to use again)

Or do you have to just set everything for each clip/project?

Nice little tutorial.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please take a look at my SS...
    i was trying to do x.264 coded MKV video with MP3 audio. when i used calculator in avidemux, i tried to choose 350 MB total for MKV (audio at 128 kbps). i could be able to customize size but not the container! the only option here was AVI, OGM or MPEG. i know avidemux 2.5 supports MKV, but why no MKV option here? another problem was the output obtained was 509 MB although i have selected 350 MB MKV! the output could not be identified by gspot either.

Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to use avi also as just the container(avi,mkv) size shouldn't be that big. Something else must have been wrong. Check with another calculator and see if you get same bitrate values.

And use Mediainfo instead of gspot to identify mkvs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You should be able to use avi also as just the container...use Mediainfo instead of gspot to identify mkvs.
    mediainfo is great for MKVs, i didn't know that, thanks. but after checking with mediainfo, i can tell you that the MKV output was a success (video looks nice and everything is OK), however, avidemux does not give option to control MKV size so far, although you can select MKV as container, you cannot select MKV profile in "calculator", you can select size, but when the job is done, you can see it is not giving the output size you wanted, for example, i wanted 350 MB, it gave me 509 MB which is a non-std size. i think this is happening as MKV profile could not be selected in calculator.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how to clear the "A" and "B" timeline markers? when I choose the option to save video it gives me an error message about the frame and that I need to remove the markers. I tried to remove them but could not.

Avidemux version 2.5.0 windows vista home premium sp2
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless I missed something in skimming this post's strings, it's absolutely unbelievable there seems to be no link for an avidemux user guide, not to mention the post seems at best outdated and at worst, well I won't say as the author did make a fairly good effort. Just as unbelievable, Googling for a user guide is useless (a guide should have been included in the install's folder, it isn't).

Most people are seeking to edit together vobs or mpg's that we get from our files (simply stringing them together to create a basic 10 mins chaptered video TS file for burning and/or backing up our vids.

Since apparently most aren't finding avidemux preesemted to us in such a way as to afford most users benefitting by it, looks like I'll still keep looking for the software that I (as most) are needing.

Please don't suggest TMGI or whatever that one is, because there again, too confusing.

UK Lightening where are you when we need you, ref. Decrypter whose only shortcoming is that it doesn't include rudimentary editing?

Anyway, here's a more useful link to a current guide...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Convert-DVD-Video-to-AVI-with-Avidemux-54002.shtml
    My best to all, and to all hap-e-trails,

wguru
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I'm a newbie to AVIDemux and I'm having trouble saving a file from it. I have a video that I downloaded and it came in 2 parts. the videos are in Divx .AVI format and I would like to join them both into 1 AVI file w/o re encoding it. is this possible with this program? I've loaded both files and I have it the way I want it but how do I save this file to my PC? when I try to save it, it just spits out a 9KB .avi file which is useless. I'm using the windows version 2.5.2 I think Please Help. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I joined this site to ask how long it will be before there is a release of avidemux that includes an 'auto-android' setting. I'm sure it's less complicated than I'm making it, but I've tried, and the videos I've made don't work on my phone yet. failing that, perhaps someone here could help me with finding the proper settings.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Auto-Android View Post
    I joined this site to ask how long it will be before there is a release of avidemux that includes an 'auto-android' setting. I'm sure it's less complicated than I'm making it, but I've tried, and the videos I've made don't work on my phone yet. failing that, perhaps someone here could help me with finding the proper settings.

Thanks!
    Try SUPER. that program can convert to mobile phone formats. most are .3GP and .3gpp formats.
    and i'm gonna try AVIdemux to convert a video for my shift 3 video camera but I dont know if it can convert to .ASF format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Auto-Android: You could try asking that question at the AVIDemux forums. They'd be in a better position to know if there's any plans to add an Android preset... or maybe even the necessary settings.

coondog1234: I don't think AVIDemux converts to ASF. To answer your previous question, I believe it does join videos (and is a little less picky about the process than VirtualDub), but that's about as much as I know - I haven't had a need to join any videos, so I haven't tried it, with either program.
    But since you're using SUPER, I think that also has the ability to join files... though I'm not at a system with it installed, so I can't tell you where it is... the right-click menu, maybe?

Couldn't tell you if any of the three would want to re-encode, unfortunately. It probably depends on your source videos and whether or not all of them have the exact same characteristics.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of times the audio goes out of sync when exporting
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thanks for recommending SUPER, it worked on the first try and I shrank the filesize of the video significantly. It looks so cool on my phone.
    Quote Quote