VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    out of nowhere my default home page on fire fox and msn changed to google.de instead of .com i maneged to go into setting and change the language preference to English from german but still when i open mozila or msn the home page is always google.de and when i type in the url bar googlemail.com it says that gmail is not available in my area Germany how can i change it so i can have my default page be .com insted of german
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is American English you native language ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah i live in washington it was fine and then it just changed to german google
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you running a proxy server? That's not uncommon with that scenario. If not, you may have a problem. Some malware programs take over your computer and change your homepage, among other things. I would suggest a malware scan. Trend Micro is still a good choice and it's free: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check in control panel - regional/language settings that it's set to english/united states.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's pure 100% idiocy, but many websites like Google try to "help" you by looking up where your IP address was registered and assuming that you want to be sent to the native language of that country, which may not be at all where you live. This happened to us all the time at my previous job when I worked in an American office of a French company. Google kept giving us google.fr when we went to Google. We finally got it changed in the settings, but it was a real bitch. Similarly I know people who worked in American offices of Philips who kept getting google.nl (the Dutch version of Google) whenever they tried to go there. You can "thank" Google for its idiocy in thinking it's doing you a favor. It probably happened because your ISP is registered in Germany.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For Google in English just use this:
    http://209.85.173.104/

or use the No Country Redirect link:
    www.google.com/ncr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Google always has a "Go To Google English" link on their main page. I'm in Germany and my Google defaults to .DE after I clear my cookies, passwords etc etc in Firefox. Click English once and it's fine....until I clean again.

Now if I could only get back to youtube.com instead of being sent to the UK version....I'd be a happy guy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    check in control panel - regional/language settings that it's set to english/united states.
    I believe that only effects keyboard types. The most expensive version of Vista has true switchable multi-language support....but it is very uncommon and difficult in XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    THE LANGUAGE IS SET TO ENGLISH IN THE REGINAL SECTION IN THE CONTROLL PANEL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    I believe that only effects keyboard types. The most expensive version of Vista has true switchable multi-language support....but it is very uncommon and difficult in XP.

down at the bottom of the tab is the region setting. i recall years ago having to set it to canada for an old version of clonedCD to work on a computer in the u.s. the side effect was every web site also tried to serve up canuck stuff, and m.s. word trying to correct the spelling to british english.

--
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok i listened to NoBuddys advice changed the home page to the ip adress of google but still when i go to the url bar and type in googlemail it says that its not availabe in gemany
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you may have a trojan
    there is one which wants specific home page for browser
    no harm in checking
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks ill run some programs and check
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    checked my system it is clean but still having the same problem any other sujestions
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once you opened 209.85.173.104, what happens of you click on the Gmail button at the top of the page?
    Can you sign in or not?
    Quote Quote