VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Yonidan
    ok I tried the "Edge-directed Interpolate". the motions look better, but the quality became lower. so I have to choose between better quality to normal motion? thanks.
    If by this you mean sharp, nearly horizontal, edges look jagged, vs looking blurry before, yes, those are your choices in VirtualDub.

Another easy solution in VirtualDub is to use the built in Deinterlace filter with the Discard Field 1 or Discard Field 2 options. Then resize to desired final size. But this will give even more jagged edges and less resolution overall

You can get slightly better (than Smart Deinterlace) results in AviSynth with TDeint() or Yadif(). And even better results with TempGauss_beta1(). But that last function is very slow.

Basically, the issue you're facing is that it's not possible to perfectly create one whole image from two half images.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well. I the built in Deinterlace filter in VirtualDub, the size has changed. how can I change it to normal size?
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's why I said you have to resize aftrwards. Add the resize filter after the deinterlace filter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You can get slightly better (than Smart Deinterlace) results in AviSynth with TDeint() or Yadif(). And even better results with TempGauss_beta1(). But that last function is very slow.
    Worth it though. Don't forget mcbob - similarly slow and good.

I don't know if Yonidan wants 25fps or 50fps output - I'd take the latter, as long as the PC can play it.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is the difference between the Smart Deinterlace to the AviSynth and the others, worth the trying ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Yonidan
    is the difference between the Smart Deinterlace to the AviSynth and the others, worth the trying ?
    If you are not happy with your results, it's worth trying them out on a small sample in my opinion - it should only take a few minutes for each test so you are not wasting that much time.

I use yadif a lot, it's usually better than vdub's built-in deinterlace function
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and the yadif comes with AviSynth?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is one comparison of several deinterlacing filters:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic354397-30.html#1877202

Here is the same frame from Smart Deinterlace in VirtualDub:

Here is the frame from MCBob():

This is only one frame of one video so don't make any final judgements on the quality of each. But it should give you a starting point. Keep in mind that TempGauss_beta1() and MCBob() are very slow, around 1/50th the speed of the others.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they are both look good, tho I prefer the first one, of the Smart Deinterlace in VirtualDub. I don't get the same result with the Smart Deinterlace...why?

the MCBob is a plug of TempGauss_beta1? what is the slow thing you said? the process of the de-interlacing of TempGauss_beta1?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Yonidan
    I don't get the same result with the Smart Deinterlace...why?
    I don't know why. Every video is different. Did you apply any other filters before deinterlacing? Generally, you should deinterlace first. If you post a short sample of your source I'll take a look at it.

Originally Posted by Yonidan
    the MCBob is a plug of TempGauss_beta1? what is the slow thing you said? the process of the de-interlacing of TempGauss_beta1?
    TempGauss_beta1() and MCBob() are two motion adaptive deinterlacing filters for AviSynth. Both are very slow. But the yield the best results, in my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I don't get the same result with the Smart Deinterlace...why?
    I don't know why. Every video is different. Did you apply any other filters before deinterlacing? Generally, you should deinterlace first. If you post a short sample of your source I'll take a look at it.

you mean, to post the original video, before the deinterlacing?

TempGauss_beta1() and MCBob() are two motion adaptive deinterlacing filters for AviSynth. Both are very slow. But the yield the best results, in my experience.
    I didn't understand what speed do you mean..you mean the de-interlacing is slow?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Yonidan
    I didn't understand what speed do you mean..you mean the de-interlacing is slow?
    Yes. A video that takes 1 hour to detinterlace with VirtualDub and Smart Deinterlace will take ~50 hours with TempGauss_beta1() or MCBob().
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow
    so a chapter of 45mins, will take so many hours?

btw, do you want to see a frame of the same video I posted previously, but before the de-interlacing?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I need a few seconds of the video (with motion) to deinterlace if you want me to analyze it. You can use a program like DgIndex to select a small section and save it as an elementary stream.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you tell me the steps in "DgIndex" please? step by step..if you don't mind
    it's a little complicated..
    Quote Quote  
  16. File -> Open
    Move slider to start of section, press [ button
    Move slider to end of section, press ] button
    File -> Save Project and Demux Video

upload M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I did it, but got a "d2v" file, without sound.
    hope it's ok.

channel%20name_20081023172900.demuxed.m2v
    Quote Quote  
  18. Smart Deinterlace (Edge directed interpolate) did just fine with that video:

smart.avi

I didn't resize, crop, or change the aspect ratio so you can see the results pixel-for-pixel.

What exactly are you unhappy with? And why did you like Smart Deinterlace better than MCBob in the images I posted earlier? Notice how the line between the fender and hood of the card is much smoother with MCBob.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo
    What exactly are you unhappy with? And why did you like Smart Deinterlace better than MCBob in the images I posted earlier? Notice how the line between the fender and hood of the card is much smoother with MCBob.
    Exactly. Also notice the horizontal artifacts near the bottom and side of the door, and the headlight. MCBob did much better for that sample IMO, at least in that frame

Nice comparisons in that link jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the smart deinterlace with Edge directed interpolate yielded good results of motion, but the picture was filthy.
    maybe there are more settings to be changed? I attached a pitcure of my smart deinterlace settings.
    just check it..if everything is ok there.

secondly, I'd like to try Avisynth and mcbob, but you say that the process is very slow.
    I want to record a tv series, every chapter of that series lasts about 45 mins.
    how much time will it take to de-interlace such video with mcbob?

Quote Quote  
  21. Other than edge-directed interpolote I used the default settings in Smart Deinterlace -- the same settings you have. Are you saying the sample I uploaded was filthy?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well it's not noticeable in the part of the video I gave you, but when I watch the whole video (after edge-directed interpolote deinterlacing), there's a section that looks bad.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    secondly, I'd like to try Avisynth and mcbob, but you say that the process is very slow.

jagabo, what do you say about this? (mcbob)
    thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Yonidan
    well it's not noticeable in the part of the video I gave you, but when I watch the whole video (after edge-directed interpolote deinterlacing), there's a section that looks bad.
    You should post a bit of the bad part.

I get about 1 frame per second on my computer. So a 45 minute PAL video would take 18 or 19 hours.

To try MCBob() you will need to install AviSynth. You have to track down a bunch of other AviSynth filters and install them:

MVTools, preferably v1.4.13 (or newer)
    MaskTools v2.0
    EEDI2
    RemoveGrain/Repair package
    ReduceFlicker (if temp-NR for ME is used)
    MedianBlur by tsp

Here is a good place to start:

http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/

You'll need the MCBob.AVS script from here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=988224#post988224

Then you need to create a .D2V file with DgIndex and an AVS script like:

import("path\to\MCBob.avs")
    MPEG2Source("filename.d2v")
    MCBob()

Finally open that in VirtaulDub and encode.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when you said 18-19 hours, you talked about mcbob?
    well, if it will take so many hours, then I'll give up.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Of course I was talking about MCBob(). That's what you were asking about.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, after all I decided to use the smart deinterlace with blend, but I've noticed something strange: an mpeg-2 video of 28mb, becames a 20.8mb video, after the procedure in vitual dub (deinterlacing and compressing to xvid).
    a video of 27.7mb (the video which I sent you to analyze) becames a 16.6mb.
    I noticed that in the first video (the 20.8 mb one) the motions look ok.
    the 16.6mb one, has the problem of motions, as you see. why does the difference between the both videos exist?

excuse me for my english,
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo or somebody?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Can you clarify your question? Is it in regards to the size or artifacts?

The size difference maybe from settings used from the encoder (if you are using 1-pass quality vs. 2pass for example), type of movie (complex scenes will use more bitrate), deinterlace used (e.g. edge will "use" more bitrate than "blend" mode because of more detail/sharpness). Also some of the artifacting maybe from using XviD with too low a bitrate (too high a quantizer)

So did you use different settings? Perhaps there was a field order change?

TempGauss_beta1() will give a clean image with fewer artifacts (therefore "require" less bitrate), but is very slow (~10-15x slower)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This source looks like it was run through a temporal filtered by the OP.

Looking at the original .m2v source (and playing it in media player) I could see major leftover temporal pixels, obviously from the previous/forward frames that were processed through some temporal noise reduction filter.

Pershaps that is the issue with some of those bad frames you mentioned.

-vhelp 4917
    Quote Quote