VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I do not have the caller ID service for my home phone. I am asking if is possible to find a software that simply can work as a caller ID for my phone. I am not interesting to have answering machine but simply caller ID functions. Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can buy a small caller-id only device that plugs in between the phone and the line, but unless you are paying for caller id from your phone company there won't be anything for the device to get the data from. they start around $10 - try amazon.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't that kind of like saying, i have cable (phone) but i don't pay for PPV (caller id) is there some way i can get the service without paying for it ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Isn't that kind of like saying, i have cable (phone) but i don't pay for PPV (caller id) is there some way i can get the service without paying for it ?
    Yeah, you got my idea actually. I need a software that can show during the phone call, the ID of call, so the number that is calling me...
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you don't pay for the service, then the information is not sent from the central office, so no device or software can identify the source.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, posted twice.. See below.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you had a pbx like asterisk, then you could use one of the cnam databases available, such as cnam.info, or metrostat.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/CNAM

For my cell phone, I wrote a utility that looks up the name via metrostat, for any unknown caller. Quite a handy little function.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Even a PBX cannot provide caller ID info if the CO doesn't send it. This is not the same as subscribing to the service and having the number blocked by the outside party. The info packet will still contain the origin ID, it just won't be presented, and it may be possible to bypass that, but if you don't subscribe to the service, the info packet is not even sent, so there's nothing to decrypt or interpret.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Not exactly. PPV is sent, but not necessarily authorized. It must be authorized, which can be done (at least at points in time in the past) without permission. On the other hand, the Caller ID data isn't even sent. Your analogy would have been closer to OnDemand type programming, where a request must be made, that results in the sending of the data. No request (signed up to service), no send (no ID data).

In other words, Caller ID is not something that can be "unlocked".
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I know it's not "the same"

My point was that he seem's to be asking how to get a pay service WITHOUT paying for it
    Quote Quote  
  11. I recall working with a guy some years ago on a hardware project to do this.

It is possible the system may have changed since that time, but I remember that the caller ID data was sent as pulses contained between the first and second rings. Am pretty sure this was unrelated to any service paid for.

He had gotten as far as recording these pulses and decoding them into actual phone numbers, it was fairly simple binary as I recall, nothing at all tricky.

I was doing IT for a company that had some pretty unique incoming call control and routing hardware and software, it was an answering service and burglar alarm monitoring company. He was trying to tie his project into this.

This was maybe 8-10 years ago, not back in the rotary dial era. I do remember actually seeing this demonstrated on live calls.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Caller ID is sent between the 1st and second ring. If the person who receives the call does not subscribe to caller ID, then the packet is never sent. If you were able to monitor the in-coming calls, the data burst is only present on caller id subscribers, it is easily reconisible. The data burst is not sent to non-subscribing customers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by diablo2003
    Caller ID is sent between the 1st and second ring. If the person who receives the call does not subscribe to caller ID, then the packet is never sent. If you were able to monitor the in-coming calls, the data burst is only present on caller id subscribers, it is easily reconisible. The data burst is not sent to non-subscribing customers.
    We now that. But the point is: Can a software or web-search engine (like IP tracer or IP lookup) or whatever, to find or to trace the ID of the phone caller? That's the point. So, theoretically is true that if we do not pay the service, there is no information about caller ID. So, I expect somebody with real experience from”special software", who tried that before…
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK, I'm confused. Your original question seemed to be about getting caller ID without paying for it. This last question seems to be about a reverse lookup service. In order to do a reverse lookup, you need the phone number. Without CallerID, you don't know the number.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    OK, I'm confused. Your original question seemed to be about getting caller ID without paying for it. This last question seems to be about a reverse lookup service. In order to do a reverse lookup, you need the phone number. Without CallerID, you don't know the number.
    Look my friend. If you use the phone-jack of the PC, you can covert your PC into a phone or fax machine (you can use faxes from the Pc using special fax software). Now where is my point? After connecting the phone cable on my PC, does somebody know a software that can be used by the PC to detect the ID of the phone calls, without having a caller ID service from phone home provider company...?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Apparently the information is just not there unless you pay for the service, so no.

I'm not even sure if there is a freely-available software that will do it if the service is paid for and the data IS there.

There IS software that can do this if the service is paid for and the data is present, but as part of an expensive package. There may be alternatives.

BUT, no service paid for = no data, so therefore the answer is "no, it cannot be done."
    Quote Quote